Single boot Ubuntu intallation on Aspire 515-54-56ZL

gilles1952
gilles1952 Member Posts: 5 New User
I want to install Ubuntu on my Aspire 515-54. I have followed posts on dual boot systems, but it seems complicated. I don't need to keep Windows, so can I just disable RST, format my SSD, and install Ubuntu only? Will the boot still work properly? Any comments would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It is best/safest to first change the BIOS SATA mode from iRST to AHCI with Windows still installed. So follow these steps.

(1) Press WIN+R. Enter 'msconfig'. Click 'boot' tab and checkmark 'safe boot'
    (2) Shut down Windows normally.
    (3) Turn machine back on and immediately tap F2 to enter the BIOS menu.
    (4) Change the SATA mode from iRST to AHCI mode. F10 to save BIOS settings and exit. (on some systems you may have to set and save BIOS supervisor password to do this). Also make sure the D2D and F12 boot options are enabled in the BIOS Main tab.
    (5) Allow Windows to boot in safe mode to automatically load AHCI drivers.
    (6) Then press Win+R again. Enter msconfig again. Uncheck safe boot.
    (7) Then shut down Windows.
    (8) Then make sure it boots normally in BIOS SATA mode AHCI.
    (9) Then you can boot from the Linux USB iso using the F12 boot option. Select custom Linux option for a single boot if you decide not to dual boot since most Linux iso assume dual boot.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    It is best/safest to first change the BIOS SATA mode from iRST to AHCI with Windows still installed. So follow these steps.

(1) Press WIN+R. Enter 'msconfig'. Click 'boot' tab and checkmark 'safe boot'
    (2) Shut down Windows normally.
    (3) Turn machine back on and immediately tap F2 to enter the BIOS menu.
    (4) Change the SATA mode from iRST to AHCI mode. F10 to save BIOS settings and exit. (on some systems you may have to set and save BIOS supervisor password to do this). Also make sure the D2D and F12 boot options are enabled in the BIOS Main tab.
    (5) Allow Windows to boot in safe mode to automatically load AHCI drivers.
    (6) Then press Win+R again. Enter msconfig again. Uncheck safe boot.
    (7) Then shut down Windows.
    (8) Then make sure it boots normally in BIOS SATA mode AHCI.
    (9) Then you can boot from the Linux USB iso using the F12 boot option. Select custom Linux option for a single boot if you decide not to dual boot since most Linux iso assume dual boot.

Jack E/NJ

• gilles1952
    Thank you - worked great
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back. What insallation distro did you use?

Jack E/NJ

• gilles1952
    I did a single boot installation of Ubuntu 20.4. Still trying to figure out file and printer sharing with my Windows 10 desktop.
  • JackE
    Do you have samba installed? If yes, smb.conf has a few changes that might be needed. Windows machines really need to have passwords.

Jack E/NJ

• gilles1952
     I'm having problems with .desktop files on Ubuntu 20.4, so I may move to openSUSE. Still looking at that.
  • JackE
    edited August 2021
    What do you mean .desktop files?  What directory are you referring to? What problems? In your /home/ directory there should be two desktop & Desktop listings, The desktop or .desktop directory probably refers to as it was when first installed. LinuxMint has about the best GUIs right now.

Jack E/NJ

• gilles1952
    Never mind. I solved it. I'm now trying out openSUSE with KDE. Having lots of fun with it. Looks and acts great!