Upgrade ram and storage A515-55-55R6

Jstar
Jstar Member Posts: 1 New User
Can I add a secondary drive to this Product  A515-55-55R6 comes with 256GB SSD/8GB RAM 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Why not add a 5TB external hard drive for storage to your laptop ?  I got a 5TB Seagate for $99 from B&H Photo (USA).

If you have real valuable data, then get two or a different brand as back-up to be put in a drawer and updated periodically.

Research your ram expansion at Crucial etc. 
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I'll clarify my answer, I have 1TB and a 2TB External Hard Drive plus a pile of flash drives and SD Cards. I back them all up to the 5TB using different folders, like HP1 Contents or Acer1 contents etc. I back them up to the 5TB unit also I have a system image from 2 of my main computers. I store the 5TB in a safe place and then update it at the 1st of the month with any new data. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Yes, you can add a second drive to your system. You have a single SSD in the M.2 slot that's 256GB in size and an empty drive bay for a 2.5" SATA drive. There should have been a bracket and cable included in the box with your laptop, but if you have lost that the Acer part numbers are 33.HGLN7.001 for the bracket and 50.HGLN7.003 for the cable. You likely could get away with placing the drive in without the bracket by being creative with a bit of duct tape, but I'd recommend the bracket be installed. Four M2x3 screws, four M3x3.5 screws. The first four to hold the bracket in place, the last four to hold the drive in the bracket.
    You can also upgrade the memory of your system if that becomes an issue. You have 4GB soldered to the motherboard and a single SODIMM socket with another 4GB. You can replace thee latter with either an 8GB or 16GB module to get 12GB or 20GB of system memory. Your system comes with either DDR4 SDRAM 2133 MHz or 2400 MHz. It's most efficient to match the speed of the onboard memory, which is probably 2400 MHz.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Jstar,

Yes, you can upgrade the SSD and RAM in this model.

You have one M. 2 SSD slot and a HDD bay, you can install a M. 2 NVMe/SATA SSD in the slot and have a 2.5" HDD in the HDD bay for storage.