Aspire 3 (A314 Does charging while laptop in use, damage the battery or laptop in general?

DONTknow
DONTknow Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello, I wanted to make sure if it was completely harmless to charge my Aspire 3 (A314) while in use. Also wanted to know if there will be any effects such as overheating or slow performance in the PC while in use.

Best Answer

• Callistemon
    Callistemon Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    With lithium-ion batteries, it is not possible to overcharge the battery. Although the battery cannot be overcharged, it will not last as long if it is at or close to 100% for most of the time. At the same time, disconnecting the charger and adding charge cycles to the battery, especially if it is allowed to drop below 20%, will also wear it out over time. The ideal method is to enable the Battery Charge Limit function, which is provided in the Acer Care Center, and then have the battery at 80% constantly without cycles or constant full charge, although beware that every few weeks the application will be "still initializing" and need to be uninstalled and reinstalled. As for when to charge the battery, it does not matter if the laptop is in use at that time, only that it should not be allowed to drop below 20%. For example, if the battery reaches 20%, you should plug it in instead of waiting until the computer is not in use.

Answers

• Epikaffe
    Epikaffe Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

As far as I'm aware, you might damage the battery but don't won't affect anything regarding other components. Also, it is actually recommended by some people to use your laptop plugged in, since it increases your machine's performance substantially.

In my case, i own an acer nitro 5 model AN517-52. When it's not plugged in the computer struggles quite a bit to run most recent games on maximum graphic settings. When i do plugged it in the performance is much better. 
  • DONTknow
    DONTknow Member Posts: 2 New User
    | see... i think i will stick around charging when not in use
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi DONTknow,

As stated above, keeping your laptop plugged in all the time won't necessarily harm your battery, although laptop batteries do have a finite number of charge-discharge cycles, so allowing your battery to completely discharge will take away from its originally-intended lifespan.
  • Callistemon
    Callistemon Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    With lithium-ion batteries, it is not possible to overcharge the battery. Although the battery cannot be overcharged, it will not last as long if it is at or close to 100% for most of the time. At the same time, disconnecting the charger and adding charge cycles to the battery, especially if it is allowed to drop below 20%, will also wear it out over time. The ideal method is to enable the Battery Charge Limit function, which is provided in the Acer Care Center, and then have the battery at 80% constantly without cycles or constant full charge, although beware that every few weeks the application will be "still initializing" and need to be uninstalled and reinstalled. As for when to charge the battery, it does not matter if the laptop is in use at that time, only that it should not be allowed to drop below 20%. For example, if the battery reaches 20%, you should plug it in instead of waiting until the computer is not in use.