A317-53G unnecessary fan speed

gabest
gabest Member Posts: 2 New User
The BIOS is locked down and cannot see what the fan is set to at what temperature, but I have an similar older model and it's 50ish C => 75%, 70ish C => 100%.

Now, at idle with light browsing, the temps are below 50 C and it is still loud, as soon as it goes above the first threshold, it get annoying, and as soon as it reaches 100% it sounds like a vacuum cleaner. 

I would be happy to just idle at 60 C with a silent fan, or do more serious work around 80 C. Basically with the fans one gear lower. But it is not possible, as there is no way to control it.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Sorry, you have two thermal module fans running in this system which also causes beat frequency sounds. The discrete GPU module in particular is designed to operate at sound levels (>35dba) that begin to become quite noticeable at 55*C.  You cannot compare this laptop with similar older models due to the higher frequencies and power levels involved. Accordingly, trying to modify this thermal management design behavior is not recommended. If this is a recent purchase and you are unhappy with this design, then you should return it to the vendor for a refund or exchange on another model with more modest speed capabilities before the vendor's return merchandise period expires, usually only a few weeks.

Jack E/NJ

• gabest
    gabest Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited August 2021
    I wish it had two fans, there is only one, working very hard. Disabling the MX350 gpu in device manager drops the temperature by 10C, that's how I can keep it under 50C and at moderate noise levels. Iris graphics is enough for me, there was just no model without the additional gpu.

I felt the comparision valid, because the older notebook has 8250U+MX150, running at the same frequencies, but manufactured on the older 14nm+++++ pitch size.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    >>> Iris graphics is enough for me, there was just no model without the additional gpu.>>>

Sorry, the non-G a317-53 series instead of the a317-53G series might have been a better choice for you. The non-G series without the nvidia chip should be widely available in a number of different configurations

Jack E/NJ