Transferring Audio Files re Portable H.D. into Aspire Desktop TC-895-EB11

2»

Answers

• Thrip
    Thrip Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Leostat said:
    Indeed, screen shots are just images so you can move them around just like you do with media files - photos of the screen also work! And i know what you mean about the site jamming up, the formatting on the forum software Acer use can really be a bit temperamental 
    Reply to Leostat #(2.)  "Part 2 -cont."

Though I originally wanted to finish off the 2nd half of my Aug. 17th Reply/Quote & Comment to your Aug 16th reply-comment, -just after lunch, -the day suddenly became especially busy & I haven't been able to finish the reply/comment until now.

-Finally, I can enter into the Acer English Community blog some analysis or feedback re what I consider to be the very crucial points mentioned re getting my Drive data info, (such as which one's the X4NVMe SSD & what partitions if any may it have ? ).

*You will notice that I didn't include a Quote of your large Aug. 16th reply Comment, ( with the multiple screenshots ) in this reply because I was trying to avoid those temperamental jam ups that I was getting in the typing of the "Part (1.)" reply comment that I sent before lunch today.            
    -Unfortunately I'm still experiencing these jam-ups. (so I'm typing this "Part (2.)" reply message in my email account & then will copy & paste it into the Acer English Community site blog..... 
    - Please Note: this reply-comment still regards the Aug, 16th reply from Leostat and to the remaining drive data issues from my same Comment that Leostat was referring to in the smaller Leostat Quote included in this reply-comment -see above.

Firstly, I'm not at all sure about a few things when you say,
    "if you are still unsure which drive is which, you can head to start -> powershell -> right click -> run as admin and type "get-partition" which will output the drive letters along with the drive path, which the NVME one will have NVME in, for example on my PC"
    -When I looked to "head to start" I could only find "Start" in the left bottom corner of the screen  -however -
    -When I click on Start I don't find any "powershell" ???
    -As well, I don't have any idea what "run as admin" means or what needs to be done to achieve this;
    That being said I continued typing in "get partition" anyway -and the first time got a "You're not connected" full screen message.
    -The second time I tried typing in "get partition" -and pressing Enter I got a popup window-box that said on the left side "Best Match   get partition   See web results, -and on the right side it says, "Preview for get partition isn't available right now".
    -When I click on the "get partition  See web results" blue box on the left side of the popup box it just brings me to the full screen  "You're not connected" page/message again....

This seems to indicate that you need to be Online to use this "get partition" ?

Remember that this audio recording/production assembly Desktop & all is to be strictly Offline.

RE your comment re Disk Management: "You can right click on in the disk management tab is where you state you can scroll down to see more where it says disk 0 disk 1 and disk 2, it doesn't look like you can right click as its just grey but you can:" I was very enthused to see if I could do something there, -but mysteriously, even though I found the Disk Management icon beside the File Explorer icon on the bottom Task Bar OK at the time when I sent billsey's Aug.15 reply-comment, -this time, when I looked at my Task Bar I could not find the Disk Management ICON, -there was nothing beside the File Explorer ICON but the circle icon for "Cortana"..... ( ? )
    Whatever happened to my Disk Management ICON ?
    -Do you know how I would get this "Disk Management ICON" back again ? 

RE: my previous blog comment statement: "When I right clicked on a drive's name -like, "New Volume (D:)" -and then click on "Open",  "Explore". or "Properties" -it just won't give me the kind of drive that it is."
    -You said, "The information is under properties -> hardware -> properties (at the bottom of the hardware tab) -> volumes ->  populate -> populate (you will need to press it twice). -After this you can see what volumes are on what drives, for example:"

-This too seemed to be a very promising direction for me to investigate, (-under "properties") -the trouble is, -now I've somehow lost my Disk Management ICON , and that seems necessary for this.... 

-What's next ?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    I'm thinking the Disk Management you found isn't the one that Windows normally provides. Move you mouse to the start menu flag at bottom left on your screen and right click. Choose Disk Management from the resulting menu and you should get the same version as I showed.
    I make a screen show by first pressing and holding a Ctrl key, then pushing the PrtSc key. That takes the current screen and copies it to the clipboard. Then launch Paint (it's part of Windows so should be easy to find) and then click the Home tab, followed by the Paste button. That will place the contains of your clipboard into the paint program. You can then either save it as is to have a screen shot, or select a smaller area and crop then save the resulting smaller image instead. From here click the little picture button above the editor and browse to your saved picture and it'll put it here for us to see.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Thrip
    billsey said:

I'm thinking the Disk Management you found isn't the one that Windows normally provides.

Move your mouse to the start menu flag at bottom left on your screen and right click.

Choose Disk Management from the resulting menu and you should get the same version as I showed.

Thanks billsey for your reply;

This is interesting, (I wonder if what you suspect of my "Disk Management" is why my Task Bar Disk Management ICON has gone missing ?

I've had a long day & am pretty burned out, (I'll have to pick it up tomorrow......)

-However, I did manage to "move the mouse to the start menu flag at bottom left on your screen and right click and choose Disk Management from the resulting menu... -I'm not sure however if I get the same version as you showed from your laptop.-It looks like much the same thing as the Disk Management window-box as the one I got from the Task Bar Disk Management ICON that has now disappeared......

Nothing there seems to be working for me either -tonight, -I'll have to pick it up tomorrow.

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    To open prorams which dont have an icon you just press start and start typing, windows looks for it and opens it for you when you press enter, this  screenshot is from windows 11 so it will look a bit differnt but its the same idea as windows 10 :-

and this one "RE: my previous blog comment statement: "When I right clicked on a drive's name -like, "New Volume (D:)" -and then click on "Open",  "Explore". or "Properties" -it just won't give me the kind of drive that it is." " 

Is just from file explorer, so start -> explorer  -> right click on a drive
  • Thrip
    Leostat said:
    To open prorams which dont have an icon you just press start and start typing, windows looks for it and opens it for you when you press enter, this  screenshot is from windows 11 so it will look a bit differnt but its the same idea as windows 10 :-

and this one "RE: my previous blog comment statement: "When I right clicked on a drive's name -like, "New Volume (D:)" -and then click on "Open",  "Explore". or "Properties" -it just won't give me the kind of drive that it is." " 

Is just from file explorer, so start -> explorer  -> right click on a drive

Hello Leostat thanks for your reply/comment,

I've tried your -Start > type in > powershell > click > Run as Administrator > type > get partition > to output the drive letters along with the drive path, & which the NVME one is etc. technique.
    -When I typed in "powershell" I got a list of various powershell options & I chose Windows PowerShell.
    When I got on there I clicked on Run as Admin -and an icon of a shield appeared on the taskbar for a while.
    Actually the first time I went typing & clicking along these lines I got a message saying that "Windows Powershell was not available at this time" -however I tried again, (I thought to myself that with all of those other "Windows Powershell" options on the powershell list the Windows Powershell app should be in the Desktop -somewhere) but when I typed in "get partition" this next time -I got a "Select Windows PowerShell" dark blue window-box with both red & white print.
    -The 
    "Select Windows PowerShell" window-box reads ;
    Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation, All rights reserved.
    -etc., etc., -but note as this DAW/Desktop is kept always Offline I was trying to type the short contents of this page into this reply comment, -as I was in the process of this, the Select Windows PowerShell's dark blue window-box with it's red & white print went suddenly blank when I was clicking around on the Aspire DAW/Desktops screen.
    -I do recall the gist of it, -The white letters had more of the usual formatted info -and advised that I try 
    "the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6
    PS C:/Users/name 

-The red letters were informing me that the system could not find the word  "get" in "get partition" -and for me to try another wording such as just "partition" or another windows powershell option.

When this happened I quickly went through the same, 
    "-Start > type in > powershell > click > Run as Administrator > type > get partition >"  process again.
    -This time instead of a  "Select Windows PowerShell" dark blue window-box, -I got a dark blue  "Windows PowerShell" window-box that reads (only in white print this time);
    Windows PowerShell
    Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation, All rights reserved.
    Try the new cross-platform PowerShell 
    https://aka.ms/pscore6  
    PS C:/Users/name >

So, I guess I should try the new cross-platform
    PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6  ?

-Should I type this < 
    PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6 > into the space down by the taskbar ?

-How should I proceed ?

Has anyone heard of this
     new cross-platform < PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6  ?

• Thrip
    billsey said:
    Move you mouse to the start menu flag at bottom left on your screen and right click. Choose Disk Management from the resulting menu and you should get the same version as I showed.

When billsey said:
    "Move your mouse to the start menu flag at bottom left on your screen and right click. Choose Disk Management from the resulting menu and you should get the same version as I showed." 

He may have advanced my cause -a little bit.....

Like on Aug.18th, I managed to again "click the mouse on the start menu flag in the bottom left corner of the screen & chose Disk Management from the resulting menu..." 

*On the left side of the screen that comes up there is a list of the drives, files, program files etc. -There I can find my partitioned 2TB External HD with it`s "BIG DRIVE 1 (E:)" and "BIG DRIVE 2 (G:)", -and "Local Disk (C:)" -and "New Volume (D:) listed.

When I right-click on one of these drives  & highlight it, and then I click on "Explorer", -and then on "Properties" I get for example, selecting "New Volume (D:)" I get a  "New Volume (D:) Properties" window box, -but no indication of what sort of a drive it is.

But today I decided to try a few things, -I clicked on "Hardware" -and then I got a list entitled, "All disk drives" -with NVMe Samsung SSD 980 -highlighted.

With the NVMe Samsung SSD 980 highlighted of all the disks that were listed on the "New Volume (D:) Properties" window box I am assuming that the NVMe Samsung SSD 980 is  "New Volume (D:)",
    -New Volume (D:) is also highlighted on the left side list on the Disk Management window-box at this time. 

Under the list on the Properties window-box it also reads;
    Device Properties
    Manufacturer:  (Standard disk drives)
    Device status: The device is working properly.

-When I tried this same process with "Local Disk (C:)" it had "TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 highlighted.
    -This may indicate that
     "Local Disk (C:)" is TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 which probably is the original 1TB HDD that came with the Desktop. ( ? )     
    -But at first when I tried this with "Local Disk (C:)" -the NVMe Samsung SSD 980 disk was still highlighted of all the disks listed...????

What is worse, when I tried this same process with either "BIG DRIVE 1 (E:)" or "BIG DRIVE 2 (G:)" I also get this NVMe Samsung SSD 980 disk highlighted in the Properties window..... 
    -I just tried the "Local Disk (C:)" disk again -and it came up again with the NVMe Samsung SSD 980 disk still highlighted and this time sticking to the NVMe SSD highlight.

-These drives stay with the NVMe Samsung SSD highlight in the Properties window-box, -even though the top of the Properties window-box it`s self will be titled "Local Disk (C:) Properties" or with either "BIG DRIVE 1 (E:)" or "BIG DRIVE 2 (G:)" when I try them.

-As well, the Disk Management window`s left side of the screen list that comes up of the drives, files, program files etc. will also have either "Local Disk (C:)""New Volume (D:)","BIG DRIVE 1 (E:)" or "BIG DRIVE 2 (G:)" highlighted when the Properties window indicates the NVMe Samsung SSD 980 -as being highlighted. 

This is why I still don`t think that I have any certain indication of which disk is the NVMe Samsung SSD 980, -"Local Disk (C:)" or "New Volume (D:)"....
    ?

What do you make of it ?

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    For the powershell it's one word rather than two with spaces. So get-partition not get partition 

For your second post, you need to press the properties button again within the:
    Device Properties
    Manufacturer: (Standard disk drives)
    Device status: The device is working properly.

Bit, you will see a second pop up , and that's where you can see which drive has which drive letter, so 7 steps :

0) Navigate to the propeties box as above
    1) Click the hardware tab
    2) click the drive you want to examine
    3) click the propeties tab at the bottom
    4) click vomumes
    5) click populate, something will pop you probly, click yes if so
    6) head back to the volumes tab and click populate again
    7) this now has what volume is on the disk :)
  • Thrip
    -I was basically successful with Leostat`s step by step instructions on how to ascertain which internal disk is the 1TB SSD & which one the 1TB HDD in my Aspire Desktop ; 

0)  Navigate to the properties box as below; 
         -I found that I could get to the Properties box by first clicking on the "This PC " ICON -in       the left-top corner of the screen.

1)  Click the hardware tab
         NOTE: -this involves one of the problems that threw me off before when trying this,
         -it was in not understanding that you needed to click Hardware first & then click on the       drive that you wanted examined. -This was confusing because the Properties box 
         always came up with the NVMe Samsung SSD 980 highlighted for some reason. 
         Eventually I learned that by clicking on a blank space within the box with the disk lists         on Properties I could get rid of any highlights on all of the disk names.
         -Then
    , I found that I could click on Hardware, (-and then,"click the drive you want to           examine" ) etc.,etc. -and everything functions -according to plan.

2)  click the drive you want to examine 
        -First I chose, TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 -on the disk list box 

3)  click the properties tab at the bottom

4)  click volumes

5)  click populate, something will pop you probably, (
    click yes if so ?) 
         -actually I had to click on Volumes & then on Populate again -on the TOSHIBA                       DT01ACA100 Properties box that popped after clicking Populate the first time,                   -something similar, but not exactly the same as #6)

6)  head back to the volumes tab and click populate again
         -On the TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 Properties box for "Type" -it has "Basic
         -On Partition style, it has, GUID Partition Table (GPT)

7)  this now has what volume is on the disk 
         -This "Volumes" box (for TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 Properties) -reads;
         Volume                      Capacity
          _ (C)                         953251 MB

So by this process I find it indicated that "Local Disk (C):" is in fact, the 1TB HDD that originally came with the Desktop.
    The 1TB HDD is a TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 -which is called, "Local Disk (C):"  ( I hope  )

To fully test the approach I next tried the same process with "New Volume (D):"
    The "Volumes" box on the NVMe Samsung SSD 980 Properties box -reads;
         Volume                               Capacity
          _ New Volume (D)              953852 MB

-On the NVMe Samsung SSD 980 Properties box for "Type" -it has "Basic
    -On Partition style, it has, GUID Partition Table (GPT)
    I still don`t know if this would be an indication of any "Partitioning" have being done with either SSD or HDD ??   ( It would be useful to know this....) -back to "get-partition" etc. ?

It does seem that NVMe Samsung SSD 980 is "New Volume (D):"
    -and the 1TB HDD is "Local Disk (C):"

-So thanks Leostat, billsey, & others for your help.

I can now click on YES. -re: "Did this answer the question? Yes · No

Next I will copy & paste all relevant excerpts in these latest reply-comments to the  "Transferring Audio Files re Portable H.D. into Aspire Desktop -and then into DAW software apps;" Question that I first posted on Aug.11 that are about the actual transferring of audio-files from External drives into the Desktop`s internal drives & DAW apps etc. into one study page. -I`ll also check out the Youtubes.
    -Now that I know where my X4NVMe SSD is I`m ready to tackle the Downloading of audio-files -and learning about these DAW apps operations.

I also may need to try more "get-partition" type searches & experiments to see if I can somehow determine more specifically re the Partitions (if there are any) in both of the internal drives in my computer. You would think that information would be somewhere too. 

Thanks,