Is it possible to load Linux on an Acer XC-830?

Options
Bruce2157
Bruce2157 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I'm finding it impossible to load Linux on this xc-830 tower. CSM is disabled in the BIOS and greyed out. I cant understand why the option is listed in the BIOS but its not accessible?
I've done BIOS updates but i am still stuck at the same wall. Please can you help me with this. I need to install an entire Computer Lab of 35 PC's but it doesn't seem to possible at this point.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Aye should be as long as your distro supports UEFI boot, you won't be able to legacy boot them. What distro are you using and howa re you making the installation media?
  • Bruce2157
    Bruce2157 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by distro support. Created bootable usb drives but it doesnt even pick them up as a bootable device. Tested USB drices on other PC's - Working 100%
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Distro is what Linux distribution, so any modern one should support gpt and UEFI booting , the other pc may still support legacy boot but many of the Acer ones don't

How did you make the usb media? 
  • gdett2
    gdett2 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I have an XC 1660G that I tried installing Ubuntu 20.04 on.  It stops at "can't find a live filesystem."  I can only get that far booting from a DVD.  I made a bootable thumb drive and the computer does not see it at all.  I disabled the windows boot and it just gives me "insert bootable device" error.  I tried a USB 2.0 and 3.0 drive.  I tried ports on the front and rear of the machine including the mouse port.  Any ideas?
  • gdett2
    gdett2 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I forgot to mention, both the 2.0 and 3.0 thumb drives boot Ok on a 5 year old Lenovo tower.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options
    Is the bootable thumb drive setup as a GPT drive, with a UEFI boot image? I thought that was pretty much the default these days. If so, you should only need to disable Secure Boot n the BIOS to allow the unsigned image, then enable the F12 Boot Menu. Save the BIOS and restart using the F12 key and your install flash drive should be listed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mannesman
    Mannesman Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    @gdett2

I have the XC-1660 (without G) linux Ubuntu 21.04 installed. You need to set ACHI mode on BIOS. However if you use both win and linux (dualboot) you must also change your Win 10 system to use ACHI to able boot correctly.
  • Jamesjhally
    Jamesjhally Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Mannesman said:
    @gdett2

I have the XC-1660 (without G) linux Ubuntu 21.04 installed. You need to set ACHI mode on BIOS. However if you use both win and linux (dualboot) you must also change your Win 10 system to use ACHI to able boot correctly.
    Hi lads.  I'm in this category too- new XC-1660 fresh out of the box, trying to dualboot windows10 with ubuntu 20.4(?) from a live usb. Apart from tpm errors while USB is loading, everything seems to run in live mode but when I go to install ubuntu, Linux cannot see the disk with windows on it.  Normally I get a "what do you want to do?" Menu but not this time, ubuntu can only see the USB it is on.

Is ACHI the answer then?  I was thinking that it was some encryption by windows or I wasn't formatting the created partitions with the right filetype. 

I'll have a look at ACHI next, hopefully that will work
  • billsey
    Options
    It really depends on your configuration. You might have an Optane card with an HDD, you might have just a SSD, you might have IRST setup for RAID... Just changing to AHCI could very easily break your Windows install, so do the research first to see what you actually have.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jamesjhally

Tinkerer

Options
    It's an Optane card with RST set in the BIOS.  I'm backing up Windows10 now but yes I will do a little more research into it before I do anything hasty.

There must be some way of getting ubuntu to see my hard drive from a USB live image - I've done this on at least a dozen PCs over the years and have so far not come up against this one.  The ubuntu image runs the computer otherwise very well apart from not being able to see the HD. 
  • billsey
    Options
    Yeah, Optane has been around long enough now that I'd expect the Linux distros to support it. Unfortunately it looks that still isn't possible, the Optane has to be disabled to boot Linux and disabling it will slow down Windows since the advantage of caching the HDD accesses will be gone. If you are serious about getting the two to work together well I'd pull the Optane (after disabling it) and put an NVMe x4 drive in instead. Move your Windows to the new SSD, resize Windows to leave enough unallocated space for your Ubuntu and then install Ubuntu in dual boot mode in that free space. Once done wipe the HDD and use it as a data drive for either or both OSes.
  • Jamesjhally

Tinkerer

Options
    Right, I might do that, good suggestion.  I was thinking of getting another drive and using it master/slave with Linux on one with the boot order changed to run Linux by default.  I'd have to go into the bios each time I wanted to run Windows though?
    I haven't done a HDD swap before and an OS reinstall like you describe above but I bought a desktop so I could ***** around largely half the time - I'm sure I'll find good tutorials on it. 
    The Optane works with secret Intel firmware then that's set in the bios - RST - wouldn't I lose the efficiency of that anyway if I reinstalled it as a data drive - Linux still wouldn't know how to operate it (or would it?) 
  • Jamesjhally

Tinkerer

Options
    My XC-1660 is now dual boot with Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10 both on the Optane drive.   I followed a YouTube video where a guy performed a bcdedit /set ...etc command on his Windows 10 machine which I did then booted into the BIOS changing RST to AHCI.  So far so good, both are working and I'm configuring my apps on Ubuntu now.  The computer is mighty fast enough for me.  Internet is a bit slow but that's Dublin for you!
    Take care, thanks for the help lads
  • billsey
    Options
    Glad we could help... iRST is Intel Rapid Storage Technology and it's built in to most motherboards using an Intel chipset. The bcdedit is in my opinion the best way to get multiple booting working, but there are a lot of users who don't want any Windows stuff in sight. :)
  • Jamesjhally

Tinkerer

Options
    As far as I understand it, the bcdedit command just let me safeboot then I switched the bios settings from RST to AHCI.  Are you saying that Windows loaded an AHCI firmware driver which linux then uses?  

For speed alone this was worth doing - it's a huge step up on the AMD A10 laptop I have in terms of speed so I'll put up with a small bit of MS knocking around my hardware but nope, I don't trust Wintel to share any secrets at the best of times!
  • billsey
    Options
    I believe the bcdedit modified the EFI setting to add the second mount point to Windows' boot manager. Changing from RST to AHCI is what allowed Linux to launch off that mount point, with a slight performance drop on the Windows side that iRST had given you.
  • Mannesman
    Options
    Win:
    I did use this ACHI guide:
    https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci

Lin:
    I have updated to the latest Ubuntu 21.10.

Lin firmware/drivers:
    I recommend to use The Xanmod firmware (xanmod.org) and the Kisak-Mesa graphics drivers.

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Mannesman

Can you elaborate on how to use Xanmod firmware and Kisak-Mesa graphics drivers?

I have built a i5-11500 CPU, AUS Prime-Plus B560 PCIe 4.0 motherboard PC. This PC works fine with Win 10.  Tried different Linux distros such as CentOS 8, CentOS 9, LinuxMint 20.2,21, Siduction 21.3, Manjaro 21.1,21.2, Garuda 211129, POP-OS-21.1, Ubuntu 21.10, Ubuntu Studio 20.04 ... etc.

All of them did not successfully installed with the proper drivers. Some will stuck at the installer, some will not detect dual-monitors, some will give a reduced resolution and cannot change, some will give garbage like display, some do not have Lan or Wi-Fi drivers.

Since 11th gen Intel CPUs had been on the market for more than half year, I believe the Linux distros should have caught up already.

Maybe what you mentioned about the Kisak-Mesa graphics drivers can help.
  • Mannesman
    Options
    Yes, you should give a try. Getting linux distro to work using latest hardware.

-Install the Kisak-Mesa graphics. For example the Ubuntu guide: https://itsfoss.com/install-mesa-ubuntu/
    (Find your distro guide if not Ubuntu.) 

-Xanmod install. Go to xanmod.org page. I installed via AptURL, the drop down menu. I chose the the EDGE version. (STABLE may work too.)

-Install the HardInfo, I have 0.6-alpha. A hardware info tool you can check for example your graphics driver in use. Check out what the  DISPLAY says (for example). You may want to take a screenshot before. Compare before and after.

-Install the Grub Customizer. This tool will help to select custom kernel you may want to use (xanmod). General settings page> choose default kernel (xanmod). Save & reboot.

I remember I might had some issues with XC-1660 UHD 730 graphics before kisak-mesa install.

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Mannesman

Thank you for the info. My PC has i5-11500, graphics is UHD 750, different from your UHD 730.

Seems like plenty of things to do, may give it a try when I feel like doing it. If I just use one monitor for some of the distros such as Ubuntu Studio 20.04 and Garuda will be fine, but I am so used to having two or three displays. Maybe I can wait another few months for the graphics drivers to catch up. Too bad that KNOPPIX seemed to be in hibernation, otherwise I expect it to be the best for hardware compatibility.

Thanks again.