My Acer Aspire E Series Laptop Keeps Saying No Bootable Device. Please Can Anyone Help Me Out?

Asmithastleford
Asmithastleford Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2021 in Aspire Laptops
 I am able to open the H20 Setup Utility using F2. Ive reset Setup Defaults, restarted it and still it says No Bootable Device.
When I put the HDD into another laptop everything boots up just fine. But for some reason this laptop isn't reading any HDD.
Originally I had a 1tb HDD running Windows 10 Pro in this laptop but accidentally gave it away. I have a few HDDs and gave the 1tb HDD away thinking it was the 500gb one.
I'm getting off track here.
The Setup Utility is reading the HDD but when I exit out It says No Bootable Device. 
When I load Setup Defaults it keeps turning on secure boot, which I keep disabling.
Also previously when it was running fine it was running in Legacy Mode but I believe it should be in UEFI. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Please help me out with this.
Here are a couple pictures so you can see what I'm seeing in the Setup Utility.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    >>>Also previously when it was running fine it was running in Legacy Mode but I believe it should be in UEFI. >>>

For this to have happened, Windows was installed in legacy BIOS mode and the boot HDD converted from GPT to MBR partitioning. As such, It can no longer boot with a UEFI bootstrapper which requires a GPT partitioned boot HDD.

If you want to convert it back to GPT partitioning, I'd advise that you first copy any personal files using a 2.5" USB-to-HDD adapter (less than $10 from Amazon) onto another machine. Then reinstall Windows on the HDD in UEFI mode. In order to disable secure boot in UEFI bootstrap you often must first set and save a BIOS supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password to change security settings like this.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Asmithastleford,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password

4 Methods to Reset an Acer Laptop with Windows 7810 or Linux

3 Ways to Reset Windows 10 Computer to Factory Settings  Password Recovery
    3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. Recovery - 25
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    >>>Also previously when it was running fine it was running in Legacy Mode but I believe it should be in UEFI. >>>

For this to have happened, Windows was installed in legacy BIOS mode and the boot HDD converted from GPT to MBR partitioning. As such, It can no longer boot with a UEFI bootstrapper which requires a GPT partitioned boot HDD.

If you want to convert it back to GPT partitioning, I'd advise that you first copy any personal files using a 2.5" USB-to-HDD adapter (less than $10 from Amazon) onto another machine. Then reinstall Windows on the HDD in UEFI mode. In order to disable secure boot in UEFI bootstrap you often must first set and save a BIOS supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password to change security settings like this.

Jack E/NJ