Windows 10 Update Problem - Do I need driver updates?

TechNerdTechNerd Member Posts: 17

Tinkerer

edited August 9 in Windows 10
I have been trying to do 2 windows updates for weeks now and it always comes back with "Unable to do updates", "Undoing changes".    Now I am getting a red warning that important  security updates need carrying out but again the computer won't carry them out.   My computer is about 7 or 8 yrs old and the driver updates on Acer are dated 2015 and have all  been done before.   Are there any new ones and can it be driver updates that are stopping these updates being carried out.    I believe they may be to do with games or video updates but am not sure.    Perhaps someone else is having the same problem:    "2021-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5004237)"   Underneath it quotes error code 0x80070003 and says "some files are missing".     The other update is :   "2021-07 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64 (KB5003537)".   I have been trying to update these two for about 4 weeks in total.    Anyone that can explain 1)   What they are and 2)   What I need to do to carry out these updates, bearing in mind I am not very tech savvy (LOL) !   It also says at the top in red "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes."

Comments

• EaswarEaswar Ally Posts: 4,745
    Hi TechNerd,

May be you need it I am not sure did you update the drivers.
  • m_iqbalbusram_iqbalbusra Member Posts: 1 New User
    My Laptop is Acer Nitro 7 using Windows 10 version 20H2 and also has the same issue about "Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x80070003)". I still figure out how to solve it and try to find the solution everywhere.
  • EaswarEaswar Ally Posts: 4,745
  • sri369sri369 ACE Posts: 2,429 Pathfinder
    I would STRONGLY suggest DISABLING driver and bios updates via Windows update. Update only as needed, from Acer site. Windows at times pushes updates that brick the OS and some bios updates brick the system.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    I am not an Acer employee.
    Your issue could get better coverage and more answers if posted in forums than in a message to me.

---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045