Second monitor not working with Linux - Aspire A515-54G

Suicinivi
Suicinivi Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited August 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I installed linux (PopOS) on a new Aspire A515-54G but now my second monitor is not being detected. I tested mirroring the laptop with a tv and worked fine, but my monitor is an old LG with VGA output so I'm using an HDMI adapter. I tried downloading the VGA driver from Acer website but it's only for Windows. Does anyone know if there's a fix?

​//Edited the content to add model name.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The VGA drivers are for the graphic card only. They do NOT convert the HDMI port signal to a VGA port signal. The HDMI-to-VGA converter that you have is supposed to do this conversion, not the laptop. So your converter has a Windows driver to convert the HDMI port signal to a VGA port signal. That's why the converter works in Windows. It doesn't work in Linux because you need a Linux driver for the HDMI-to-VGA converter.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    While the graphics adapter supports VGA signals, the A515-54G mainboard does not natively support VGA signals thru its HDMI port. So you must use an active HDMI-to-VGA (or USB-to-VGA) signal converter. If you're HDMI-to-VGA adapter worked inside Windows, then it likely is actually an active converter with Windows drivers. Accordingly, you should be looking for Linux drivers for your HDMI-to-VGA signal converter, not for the A515-54G.  

Jack E/NJ

• Suicinivi
    Suicinivi Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    While the graphics adapter supports VGA signals, the A515-54G mainboard does not natively support VGA signals thru its HDMI port. So you must use an active HDMI-to-VGA (or USB-to-VGA) signal converter. If you're HDMI-to-VGA adapter worked inside Windows, then it likely is actually an active converter with Windows drivers. Accordingly, you should be looking for Linux drivers for your HDMI-to-VGA signal converter, not for the A515-54G.  
    It was working in Windows before I replaced it with Linux. But now I reinstalled Windows and it's not working anymore. I tried installing VGA Driver (MX250) and VGA Driver (Intel) from here https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7982?b=1&pn=NX.HQPAL.00J and also Intel Graphic Driver from here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/197533/graphics/graphics-for-10th-generation-intel-processors/intel-uhd-graphics-for-10th-gen-intel-processors.html but nothing works. Is there a driver that comes with the laptop from factory that I'm missing?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    The VGA drivers are for the graphic card only. They do NOT convert the HDMI port signal to a VGA port signal. The HDMI-to-VGA converter that you have is supposed to do this conversion, not the laptop. So your converter has a Windows driver to convert the HDMI port signal to a VGA port signal. That's why the converter works in Windows. It doesn't work in Linux because you need a Linux driver for the HDMI-to-VGA converter.

Jack E/NJ