Unable to create a new folder in D: drive - Predator P05-600s

Options
Manxie
Manxie Member Posts: 55 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
Hi, I'm wanting to download a game from Steam on to my HDD (D:drive) but the drive is saying that it is read only.  When I go to File Explorer and right mouse click it no longer gives me the option to create a new folder.  There is plenty of space left on the drive to accommodate the new game.   Is anyone able to offer any advice please?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Try checking the partition for errors. When the filesystem sees errors on the drive it write protects the partition so things can't get more corrupted.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Manxie
    Options
    Thanks Billsey.  How do I do that?
  • Manxie
    Options
    Sorry, Billsey,

Apologies.  I should have said, I've run the Error Checking on Drive:D but it said "You don't need to scan this drive".  I've also tried to remove the disk write protection using CMD.  But it told me the drive is write protected.  

• Manxie
    Options
    Now fixed.  Although it said "You don't need to scan this drive" it goes on to say "You can still scan the drive for errors if you want."  So I ran a scan and it came back with "Repair this drive.  Windows found errors on this drive that needs to be repaired.  Close this dialog box, and then repair the drive."  

I then did a System Restore to 4 days earlier and all is now fine.  The drive is no longer write protected and I am able to create new folders.  The game is now downloading to D:drive.  

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    One thing to watch for though is any additional errors. Sometimes they are just software glitches and sometimes they are indications the drive is starting to fail.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Manxie
    Options
    OK thanks for that.  I'll watch out for anything else untoward.