Nitro 5 AN515-55-75J1 Please read the description as there isn't enough room here to type!

TechLover128
TechLover128 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited August 2021 in Nitro Gaming
Hello! How are you doing? I have a small question! So, my brand new Acer laptop's display is a bit fuzzy. I was wondering if updating my drivers would help it become less fuzzy, as the display feels like it's 768p, 720p, and lower when it is a 1080p 144 Hz display. If so, is there a video I can follow on how to update it? As this is my first Acer laptop and have seen people extracting files and etc after downloading the update but that's all I know of and I am scared to mess with the drivers and cause a mess. My Acer is a "Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-75J1" with a i7-10750H and 95 W 3060 (mobile variant). Here are the full specs of the Acer if you'd like, thanks in advance! Link to my Acer's specs: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/model/NH.QB2AA.001 | Also, my BIOS version is V2.03 it says in Acer Care Centre and a Geek Squad employee at Best Buy updated my BIOS for me it wasn't up to date yesterday (I had checked and went to the Best Buy store for assistance). I updated the BIOS version for my GPU's maximum TDP was 85 W that time, and after the update it was 95 W. The BIOS version I updated to was v101a. Thanks in advance again! Any and all support is appreciated by me!

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited August 2021
    I guess the three things to check are :: 

1) what's the screen resolution set to, right click the desktop and head to display settings. It should be set to the highest

2) Check the cleartype text setting , start -> cleartype . Make sure its set to on then go through the wizard for it to calibrate text . It will take you through a load of "a or b" options to sharpen text.

3) check scaling, sometimes having above 100% causes windows to act wried, start -> display -> scale

Drop us a pic of some text as well as it may help us diagnose it :)
  • TechLover128
    edited August 2021
    Leostat said:
    I guess the three things to check are :: 

1) what's the screen resolution set to, right click the desktop and head to display settings. It should be set to the highest

2) Check the cleartype text setting , start -> cleartype . Make sure its set to on then go through the wizard for it to calibrate text . It will take you through a load of "a or b" options to sharpen text.

3) check scaling, sometimes having above 100% causes windows to act wried, start -> display -> scale

Drop us a pic of some text as well as it may help us diagnose it :)
    1. Hello! The display resolution is 1920x1080p (its native resolution by the way) and the refresh rate is 144 Hz. That is the display’s highest resolution and is its native resolution as well.

2. I will do, however in games will this affect the text and how it looks? I play video games (for example vehicle-related video games in Roblox) and the vehicles and in-game text looks as if I was on my old 1366x768p (native resolution) laptop and playing the game. Actually, worse than that maybe. And plus it’s at maximum settings. The FPS goes quite low at the start/menu screen (mind you, this is a lego game and the start menu is the game logo, play button, shop button, jobs button, a small update log, and not a lot of background blur. It is also not a very demanding game, and a RTX 3060 should take this with ease at max settings) which is not what I would expect from a laptop with a 95 W 3060 either. 

3. Yes, it is scaled above 100%. It is 125% and 100% is way too small for me in my opinion. 

4. I can not take a picture yet as I am not on the laptop at the moment, but when I do would you like a screenshot?

5. Is it possible that (a) GPU driver(s) and/or other driver(s)/BIOS update(s) can fix this/these issue(s)? 
  • Leostat
    Camera pic would be preferred as then we can see if as rendered :) I have a feeling a screenshot may not convey it! I wouldn't expect it to be a driver thing, fuzzyness is more a windows / rendering one, but can't rule anything out! 

Try dropping the scaling just to see if that makes a difference, or running the game in windows mode to see if it's being stretched by the renderer :) 
  • TechLover128
    edited August 2021
    Leostat said:
    Camera pic would be preferred as then we can see if as rendered :) I have a feeling a screenshot may not convey it! I wouldn't expect it to be a driver thing, fuzzyness is more a windows / rendering one, but can't rule anything out! 

Try dropping the scaling just to see if that makes a difference, or running the game in windows mode to see if it's being stretched by the renderer :) 
    1. (Please check the picture) This is how it looks kind of, it looks a bit better for some reason, the picture’s less fuzzy but if you saw it in person you’d see it be quite a bit more fuzzy.

2. Ah, understood, should I contact Best Buy about it? And thank you!

3. Scaling to 100% instead of 125% DOES make a difference, however it still does NOT look like 1080p in my opinion. It’s a very minimal difference and how small the icons are does not make up for it at all. Also, the picture was taken when it was scaled at 125% and the game’s graphics was at the lowest possible. I can send a picture of it when it’s scaled at 100%. Also what do you mean by running the game in windows mode? Like full screen or something else?
  • TechLover128
    Leostat said:

Hello! I replied once, however I believe I may have edited my post too many times that Acer is reviewing it. Let me do my best to Re-type everything again.

1. Thank you! Should I contact Best Buy about it however?

2. Yes, when I scaled it from 125% to 100% the quality did get better, HOWEVER it was not at 1080p quality still I believe. 
  • Leostat
    S'all good, the editing on the forum can be funky at times. 

I don't think it is a fault on the laptop , generally fuzzyness is software sode rather than hardware :) , as a test, if you run the game in windowed mode is it still fuzzy?