Wifi issues A515-55-35se

KellieS
KellieS Member Posts: 7 New User
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Asked yesterday but can’t find it or if anyone answered. Have aspire5 for over a year. Just in last month suddenly won’t connect to wifi. I uninstalled windows s mode. Couldn’t even run diagnostics. Ran troubleshooting and it said fixed. That didn’t work. Reset wifi adapter and done everything I can find. It will occasionally briefly connect but still doesn’t work. If I connect Ethernet cable, it works fine. All other devices in our house work. Only having issue with my laptop. Thanks!

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    There are dozens of A5 models. It might help if you could reveal which one you have. For example, A515-54g? A514-43? A517-56? In the meantime, shut down Windows normally. Remove the charger. Then insert a paperclip into the reset pinhole on the bottom for about 60 seconds. Then plug the charger back in. Turn the machine back on and test wifi again.

Jack E/NJ

• KellieS
    A515-55-35se…I will give your suggestion a try tomorrow.
  • KellieS
    I appreciate the suggestion above but that didn’t do anything. Diagnostics still says it can’t find the problem. Any other ideas out there?
  • JackE
    Shut down the machine. Turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery menu should appear to allow you to refresh the machine while trying to save your personal files or a full factory reset to an original out of the box state. This ALT+F10 cold boot recovery method is arguably the best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue with the wifi card.

Jack E/NJ

• KellieS
    Interesting follow up - I haven’t tried the cold reboot yet. However I took my laptop on a trip and there was no issues connecting to the hotel wifi. So maybe it’s not the laptop itself as I thought?? 
  • JackE
    Reboot your router/modem.

Jack E/NJ

• KellieS
    We have rebooted the router several times, it hasn’t resolved the problem unfortunately.
  • JackE
    >>>no issues connecting to the hotel wifi.>>>

Well since you already seemed to have proven the laptop's wifi card is OK, how do you know your router & modem are OK?

Jack E/NJ

• KellieS
    We are looking into the router and possibly upgrading. However out of 6 devices in the house it is the only one that suddenly stopped working after no issue for more than 6 months of use. I figured in this case, it was my laptop. I will figure it out eventually. I appreciate all the advice. 
  • JackE
    Do you see the router or perhaps even neighbor's wifi routers when you click on the wifi icon in the tray? Who set the router up? Do you know if the router wifi is accessed by a password or automatically connects to a device's wifi MAC serial number?

Jack E/NJ