Aspire 5 A517-52 Battery Doesn't Charge Past 96% Even While Plugged In

SamaelQliphoth
SamaelQliphoth Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

As the title says, my laptop battery won't charge past 96% despite being plugged in.

The issue started today, as it didn't used to do this. When I hover over the battery icon, or click it, it says "96% available (plugged in)" and the little battery light on the side that shows if its fully charged is orange (so it isn't just a display error). I checked the battery via the Acer Care Center and according to it, the battery is fine. I've only had the laptop for about 2-3 months, so I can't imagine it being the battery weakening. Anyone having the same issue or have any ideas?

Just in case it's relevant, I'm running Windows 10 Pro v2004.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    As the title says, my laptop battery won't charge past 96% despite being plugged in.

The issue started today, as it didn't used to do this. When I hover over the battery icon, or click it, it says "96% available (plugged in)" and the little battery light on the side that shows if its fully charged is orange (so it isn't just a display error). I checked the battery via the Acer Care Center and according to it, the battery is fine. I've only had the laptop for about 2-3 months, so I can't imagine it being the battery weakening. Anyone having the same issue or have any ideas?

Your problem is all battery related and is also because you must be running and using your laptop on the mains power most of the time. Your type of problem(s) is widely experienced with the cheap and replaceable Chinese batteries that are recycled from dead OEM batteries and sold as new replaceable batteries and never ever work like OEM batteries. My advice to you is for you to “Reset your Battery” of your A515-52 by doing the OEM Acer “Battery Reset” (see caption below, step 3) and also run your laptop on the internal battery until you get the battery low warning and then recharge the battery. Also do a “Calibrate Your Laptop Battery” and follow that guide.

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓

Your problem is all battery related and is also because you must be running and using your laptop on the mains power most of the time. Your type of problem(s) is widely experienced with the cheap and replaceable Chinese batteries that are recycled from dead OEM batteries and sold as new replaceable batteries and never ever work like OEM batteries. My advice to you is for you to “Reset your Battery” of your A515-52 by doing the OEM Acer “Battery Reset” (see caption below, step 3) and also run your laptop on the internal battery until you get the battery low warning and then recharge the battery. Also do a “Calibrate Your Laptop Battery” and follow that guide.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Open Device Manager. Click batteries folder. Right click and uninstall ALL drivers. Exit Device Manager without re-installing anything. Shut down Windows normally. Turn machine back on and let Windows redetect the battery and charger  and auto re-install fresh copies of their drivers. Then unplug the charger and allow the battery to discharge till the ~10% Windows warning appears to plug the charger back in to re-calibrate the battery charge level.

Jack E/NJ

• SamaelQliphoth

Tinkerer

You mentioned A515-52, but mine is an A517-52; does that make a difference? Also, I have done the pinhole reset once before, but at that time, it always showed that it charged to 100%, so what would be the difference between then and now (or is it just cheap batteries require the reset occasionally or something)?
  • SamaelQliphoth

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:

I did the pinhole reset (figuring it might work whether "A515" was a typo on your end or not) before trying some of the other suggestions, and it did indeed seem to work. Took longer than the 14 minutes stated to charge from 96% to 100%, but I'm going to guess that's just the nature of things (particularly seeing as my powercord/supply came directly from Acer). Hopefully this issue isn't too frequent, but either way, I'm going to bookmark this thread in case it pops up again. 

Thanks a lot for your help!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen said:

Your problem is all battery related and is also because you must be running and using your laptop on the mains power most of the time. Your type of problem(s) is widely experienced with the cheap and replaceable Chinese batteries that are recycled from dead OEM batteries and sold as new replaceable batteries and never ever work like OEM batteries. My advice to you is for you to “Reset your Battery” of your A515-52 by doing the OEM Acer “Battery Reset” (see caption below, step 3) and also run your laptop on the internal battery until you get the battery low warning and then recharge the battery. Also do a “Calibrate Your Laptop Battery” and follow that guide

I did the pinhole reset (figuring it might work whether "A515" was a typo on your end or not) before trying some of the other suggestions, and it did indeed seem to work. Took longer than the 14 minutes stated to charge from 96% to 100%, but I'm going to guess that's just the nature of things (particularly seeing as my powercord/supply came directly from Acer). Hopefully this issue isn't too frequent, but either way, I'm going to bookmark this thread in case it pops up again. 

The A517-52 and the A515-52 are the same laptop specs, one is a 17" screen laptop and the other is a 15" screen laptop that is all the difference between the two. As I’ve said, I experience your problem all the time with a replacement and a none OEM battery that I bought and that is sold on eBay, Amazon cheaply, mine and especially if the laptop is plugged into the mains, the battery charge stays at 25% to 75% and it only charges if I unplug the laptop and let the battery drain and then recharge it, so don't worry as your battery only needs recalibrating and then it will work fine especially if you run your laptop on mains power all the time. Good that it works and glad to be of some help, cheers and take care. 

• SamaelQliphoth

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:

Your problem is all battery related and is also because you must be running and using your laptop on the mains power most of the time. Your type of problem(s) is widely experienced with the cheap and replaceable Chinese batteries that are recycled from dead OEM batteries and sold as new replaceable batteries and never ever work like OEM batteries. My advice to you is for you to “Reset your Battery” of your A515-52 by doing the OEM Acer “Battery Reset” (see caption below, step 3) and also run your laptop on the internal battery until you get the battery low warning and then recharge the battery. Also do a “Calibrate Your Laptop Battery” and follow that guide

The A517-52 and the A515-52 are the same laptop specs, one is a 17" screen laptop and the other is a 15" screen laptop that is all the difference between the two. As I’ve said, I experience your problem all the time with a replacement and a none OEM battery that I bought and that is sold on eBay, Amazon cheaply, mine and especially if the laptop is plugged into the mains, the battery charge stays at 25% to 75% and it only charges if I unplug the laptop and let the battery drain and then recharge it, so don't worry as your battery only needs recalibrating and then it will work fine especially if you run your laptop on mains power all the time. Good that it works and glad to be of some help, cheers and take care. 

Ah, good to know about the A515 vs A517. Now that I look at the name as a whole, is seems kinda embarrassingly obvious. Odd that my issue happened with the original battery, but such is quality control these days, I guess.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi SamaelQliphoth,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.

5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​