Triton 500 - Nvme heatsink

Options
connde
connde Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hi, has anyone tried to add a heatsink to their nvme drive? If so what would be the max mm that I could use, will a 1.5mm heatsink fit nicely?

Mine is getting a little hot some times, close to 70, and I saw that heatsink gives great results and I'm also thinking on adding one extra disk, since the Triton is not easy to upgrade due to motherboard placement I intend to do it all at once.

I have a PT515-52.

Thanks.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,032 Trailblazer
    Options
    connde said:
    Hi, has anyone tried to add a heatsink to their nvme drive? If so what would be the max mm that I could use, will a 1.5mm heatsink fit nicely?

Mine is getting a little hot some times, close to 70, and I saw that heatsink gives great results and I'm also thinking on adding one extra disk, since the Triton is not easy to upgrade due to motherboard placement I intend to do it all at once.

I have a PT515-52.

Thanks.

Look, the Triton 500 models have limited height space for the M.2 SSD drives (see caption of a Triton 500 PT515-51 M.2 drives) as you haven’t told us what model you have and you are talking about? Heatsinks that work take up space and are bulky that is why you have to research what heatsink you intend to fit? It’s a very simple equation of what you should and can do? In my opinion affective heatsinks (that need to be bulky and thick to dissipate heat) in laptops don’t fit as there is very limited space and 70c is not too hot as and in extreme usage and especially operating your laptop in hot climate conditions can cause overheating of components and need more ventilation. In my opinion you should buy a good laptop tablet cooler and/or mod the laptop to have more ventilation holes but, this requires drilling vent holes into the bottom case location where your M.2 drives reside for extra ventilation which would be much more erratic and is a decision that you have to make as you can do more damage than good, its up to you?  

• connde
    connde Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello, thanks for replying.

I have a PT515-52, PT515-52-73L3 to be more exact, I took a look of a disassembly from my model on YouTube and motherboards looks the same as you posted.

I have seem videos on YouTube even using only thermal pads with great results, I would definitely would like to try that before drilling a hole to my new notebook :).

There is not much material with thin heatsinks on the YouTube to review, currently I'm getting those temps in winter without doing much on the PC, so I'm trying to think ahead for when the summer comes in, as the temp in my country could go from 5 currently to 30 degrees.

I might just buy a couple since they are not expensive and try it out and see how it goes, if I don't get decent results I just take it off maybe.