Another Predator Helios that won't charge PH315-52-78VL

Options
Evanslooten
Evanslooten Member Posts: 4 New User
edited July 2021 in Predator Laptops
Roughly 1-2 months ago my Predator Helios 300 (PH315-52-78VL) stopped charging the battery. Since then I have poured over the incredibly numerous topics where others are having similar battery issues. The laptop will run while plugged in but not charge the battery. I have roughly 100 hours on the laptop since I purchased it 2 years ago based on the hard drive data, 20 of those are likely trying to solve this issue. It's ridiculous to have this kind of failure on a device at this price point. 

I have done the following:
  1. Uninstalled the ACPI device in Device Manager
  2. Updated Windows
  3. Performed a battery reset by holding down the power button
    (This briefly shows an orange charging light for roughly 1 second before going back to blue)
    (This model does not have a physical battery reset button on the back)
  4. Purchased and installed a new battery
  5. Purchased a new charging adapter
  6. Updated the BIOS (which was tricky at 0% battery)
  7. Tested both chargers with a voltmeter (they read fine)
Has anyone actually managed to resolve this problem without paying Acer more money for this unaddressed flaw? Does anyone want to buy a Helios 300 paperweight?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Evanslooten
    Options
    Additional info:

Both batteries register as "Good" health by Acer Care Center and BatteryInfoView. 

Batteries stopped charging while the laptop was plugged in / in operation. The issue was discovered when removing the charger and the laptop powered off instantly. The previous day the laptop worked and charged correctly.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi Evanslooten,

Are you getting any light indication when charger is connected.
  • Evanslooten
    Options
    Easwar,

Yes, I do receive a BLUE charging light, but the light does not go ORANGE. When performing a battery reset, after the BLUE charging light indicator flashes briefly (to denote the reset I assume), it will go solid ORANGE for roughly a second, before returning to BLUE. The light will not return to ORANGE unless this process is repeated. 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi Evanslooten,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.
    Update Battery Drivers in Windows EASILY - Driver Easy
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​