Acer Aspire % A515-51 563w Digital internal microphone does not function . Please help.

Butchie3608
Butchie3608 Member Posts: 4 New User
My Aspire5 a515-51-563w laptop has dual digital mikes. The mikes do not function. I thought that if I were to reinstall Windows 10 with the thumb drive I have from Acer would fix the problem. It did not fix it. I noticed the problem when I installed Alexa on my laptop because I could not get Alexa to hear my voice. I checked the soundbox at that time and the only recording devices listed were the Line, Midi, Microphone array, and Stereo Mix with MIDI unavailable.  I tried by process of elimination to determine if one of these were the correct setting to use by enabling each one one at time but none of these settings worked. I tried updating drivers on each and that did not work. I tried uninstalling each one and then starting  computer that did not work. I tried to scan for hardware change and that did not work. I did these procedures both before reinstalling the OS and after and still the Internal mike does not function. Can anyone help? I would be very grateful if someone could. Thanks.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The mics are part of the LCD video cam cable system usually located in the lid on both sides of the cam board. I'm gonna guess the mics & cam board are fine so don't mess with them. But the cable probably has conductor trace breaks in the congested hinge area usually from the wear and tear of opening and closing the lid too much. You might try reseating the cable ends at the mainboard, bottom of screen and cam board. Replacement cables are less than $15usd. Google search part no. 50.GP4N2.008.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    >>>My Aspire5 a515-51-563w laptop has dual digital mikes. The mikes do not function. I thought that if I were to reinstall Windows 10 with the thumb drive I have from Acer would fix the problem.>>>

(1) Did the mics ever work for you in any application or test?

(2) Did you get the ACER recovery thumbdrive based on your machine's serial number id (SNID)?

(3) Is the machine still under warranty?

Jack E/NJ

• Butchie3608
    The mikes worked on Skype prior to problems . Albeit, I barely use Skype.  The OS from Acer is registered to my computer. I had to purchase it from Acer for 39 dollars. The machine is about 3 years old so I believe that the warranty is void.  I was wondering if the problem is the mikes . But I don't know where the mikes are located at on or in the unit. I took the bottom case off of the unit but I don't see any mikes just the speakers at the bottom of the case located near the batterie and they are connected to the mobo as are all of the other cables. If I could find the mikes, maybe I could replace or repair them.  Thanks
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    The mics are part of the LCD video cam cable system usually located in the lid on both sides of the cam board. I'm gonna guess the mics & cam board are fine so don't mess with them. But the cable probably has conductor trace breaks in the congested hinge area usually from the wear and tear of opening and closing the lid too much. You might try reseating the cable ends at the mainboard, bottom of screen and cam board. Replacement cables are less than $15usd. Google search part no. 50.GP4N2.008.

Jack E/NJ

• Butchie3608
    I will try that. Last year I had to replace the LCD because of bad pixels. While replacing it, I used a new LCD cable. The mic worked fine until recently. I will definitely check this out and replace the LCD cable with a new one as the cable is really not very expensive. I hope that that will fix it . Thanks
  • JackE
    Let us know how it goes either way. Probably only needs re-seating a few times to help clean the contacts. Unless the lid has been open & closed a lot in the last year.    :o   Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Butchie3608
    Thanks I will let everyone know