Faulty PSU - Acer Aspire A515-55

adrianwhyte
adrianwhyte Member Posts: 4 New User
How long will I wait for Acer to provide a replacement PSU under warranty ?

Laptop battery is now dead. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Have you already arranged for warranty service?  Because the service usually requires shipping the entire laptop and PSU both ways to be checked  It might be quicker & cheaper due to shipping costs just to replace it yourself if you're sure it's the PSU that's failed. New replacements are less than $20usd from Amazon with free shipping.

Jack E/NJ

• adrianwhyte
    I was hoping the psu would be required only & replaced - I have looked at a Delta Electronics replacement online & is ~ as you say $20.  
    Thanks for reply.
  • JackE
    With the laptop off and plugged in, does the battery charge LED light up steady orange or steady blue? How about when you wiggle the charger plugs and wires?

Jack E/NJ

• adrianwhyte
    Jack - tried all this and more - I have also had a meter on the mains cable & PSU dc output.  Mains cable ok but no dc output from PSU.
    Thanks for help - I have now ordered and paid for replacement albeit being under warranty.  PS I'm a retired Electrical Engineer.
  • JackE
    >>>PS I'm a retired Electrical Engineer.>>>

That helps!  :)    Possibly a break somewhere in the wire connections between the charger and the plug. I'm gonna guess it's a solder joint inside the plug which you'd have to ruin to get at. So I'd probably stick pins in the wires to see if I can pick up any life from the charger. If it still had output, I'd get another plug that fits the jack from my stash in the cellar. Then cancel my order for a new one.  :)

Jack E/NJ

• adrianwhyte
    I may do this after the replacement arrives on Wed.