Slow flashdrive AN517-52-52T3

esskei
esskei Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited July 2021 in Nitro Gaming
I bought a used AN517-52-52T3.  It appears to have one USB3 port on the right, two USB2 ports on the left.  I want to load Linux on the second SSD drive that the laptop has.  I downloaded Etcher in Windows and downloaded a linux iso and put it on a USB3 flashdrive.  When I boot and hit F12 and load from the Limpus lite (not sure why it says that because I did not load Limpus on the flashdrive - I loaded Mint 20.2) it boots to Linux Mint.  BUT IT IS SUPER SLOW TO BOOT, like about 10 minutes and then when linux seems to be loaded it is very non responsive with huge delays.  Does anybody have any ideas what might be going on?  This slowness happens regardless of whether I have the flashdrive in the left USB2 ports or the right USB3 port.

There aren't too many ways to screw up Etcher to create a flashdrive that would run slowly, as far I know.  What else could be going on?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• esskei
    Answer ✓
    Seems the problem was that I was running Optain in the BIOS.  I switched to ACHI and reinstalled windows from a recovery drive.  Then booted to a live linux drive and it worked fast and I installed off of that.

Answers

• esskei
    EDIT:   I was saying Etcher for the install program and then realized that I have been using Rufus.  So I just downloaded Etcher.  I put the disk in and windows asked to reformat the flashdrive and i let it do that.  Then ran Etcher, which has no real settings.  You just point it to the .iso file you want to use and do it.  Both the format that I did and the Etcher burning of the .iso were fast. Took less than a minute.

But the plugging in of the drive and booting from it are super slow.... like 10 or 15 minutes and then Linux is very unresponsive when it finally gets to a desktop.  Is it possible that the flashdrive could be defective?  Maybe it can written to quickly but the read times needed to load the OS from the flashdrive are failing?  Its the only thing I've used the thumbdrive for and I don't know.
  • esskei
    UPDATE:  I mentioned that it takes 10 or 15 minutes to boot from the flashdrive to get to a desktop and then is very slow.  I got to that point, walked away, came back another 15 minutes later and the Linux Mint running from the flashdrive was running normally, fast.  So I clicked on the Install Linux icon on the desktop and after the language and wifi connect screens I got to this screen.  It is telling me to go in the BIOS and turn off RST.   Where in the Acer BIOS can I do that?  I don't see any option in any of the tabs of the BIOS to do that.
  • esskei
    Answer ✓
    Seems the problem was that I was running Optain in the BIOS.  I switched to ACHI and reinstalled windows from a recovery drive.  Then booted to a live linux drive and it worked fast and I installed off of that.