Nitro 5 AN515-45 CPU fan not reach max speed

TeaSea
TeaSea Member Posts: 10 New User
As title said, even if CPU temp. is at 91 celsius (didn't take the screenshot that time) it's still at 4918 at maximum speed
Is this normal?

I have tried
-Updated BIOS
-Reinstall Nitro, or tried install Predator Sense but result still the same

Answers

• TeaSea
    Forget to said there, this notebook is brand new, so there is no dust, i did uncover its once to install SSD but there is no dust, so that's not the problem
    also here, during 91 celsius  still the same speed

• Alycia99
    Alycia99 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R8SH is a Windows 10 Home laptop with a 15.60-inch display that has a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. it comes with 8GB of RAM. The Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R8SH packs 1TB of HDD storage.

AdvancedMD
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi TeaSea,

Yes, If the fan run in automode means it will work with the recommended speed it is not compulsory the speed hit max. If you wish to get max speed try to custom and check it.
  • TeaSea
    Easwar said:
    Hi TeaSea,

Yes, If the fan run in automode means it will work with the recommended speed it is not compulsory the speed hit max. If you wish to get max speed try to custom and check it.

as you can see in the picts, i set its to MAX....
  • TeaSea
    anyone?        
  • TeaSea
    AKB said:

the program is really outdated, it doesn't even has a profile for Acer Nitro series
    doesn't help at all
  • Frodosynthesis
    Frodosynthesis Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited July 2021
    Most likely a bad paste job in the factory.
    Leave the laptop on idle and monitor temps. When I mean idle, don't even move a mouse. After complete idleness, check the CPU temps.

Thing is, with new CPUs, higher temperatures are not the problem during light work. For a small CPU die (200-300 mm^2) packed with transistors, put in a small laptop with limited thermal solutions, CPU temperature jumping from 50C (complete idle) to 70C is expected. You run dozens of amps through the CPU the moment it needs to open Mozilla Firefox. It boosts itself to 4GHz+ and opens Mozilla quite quickly. Heats up a lot and then cools down. If you keep using the machine, the boost will fluctuate (from base clock to boost clock depending on the load) and heat up the CPU, so fans will ramp up.
    A couple of minutes in and it should stabilize. The CPU will be at a certain temperature and the fans will spin at a constant angular velocity to keep the balance
    As I can see from the screenshot, you opened something that caused the CPU spike to 91C. Understand that in laptops, even at max fan speed, the heat will not dissipate lightning fast. If the fans are running at full speed, and you get a spike to 91C, it's the time it takes the laptop to cool down that says a lot about the thermal properties.
    Don't be alarmed that a small piece of silicon can heat up by 20+ degrees in less than a second. It's normal. What would not be normal that the heat doesn't leave the laptop in less than 5 seconds. Measure the time it takes to cool it down at fans full speed.
    Induce a thermal spike (open mozilla and word and steam at the same time) and leave the laptop alone and see how fast it cools down

EDIT: Not to mention the surrounding temperature is important. It's not the same if you're in a room at 30C and in a room at 10-20C. Huge difference to idle temperature and cooling "strength".

• TeaSea
    edited July 2021
    Leave the laptop on idle and monitor temps. When I mean idle, don't even move a mouse. After complete idleness, check the CPU temps.

Thing is, with new CPUs, higher temperatures are not the problem during light work. For a small CPU die (200-300 mm^2) packed with transistors, put in a small laptop with limited thermal solutions, CPU temperature jumping from 50C (complete idle) to 70C is expected. You run dozens of amps through the CPU the moment it needs to open Mozilla Firefox. It boosts itself to 4GHz+ and opens Mozilla quite quickly. Heats up a lot and then cools down. If you keep using the machine, the boost will fluctuate (from base clock to boost clock depending on the load) and heat up the CPU, so fans will ramp up.
    A couple of minutes in and it should stabilize. The CPU will be at a certain temperature and the fans will spin at a constant angular velocity to keep the balance
    As I can see from the screenshot, you opened something that caused the CPU spike to 91C. Understand that in laptops, even at max fan speed, the heat will not dissipate lightning fast. If the fans are running at full speed, and you get a spike to 91C, it's the time it takes the laptop to cool down that says a lot about the thermal properties.
    Don't be alarmed that a small piece of silicon can heat up by 20+ degrees in less than a second. It's normal. What would not be normal that the heat doesn't leave the laptop in less than 5 seconds. Measure the time it takes to cool it down at fans full speed.
    Induce a thermal spike (open mozilla and word and steam at the same time) and leave the laptop alone and see how fast it cools down

EDIT: Not to mention the surrounding temperature is important. It's not the same if you're in a room at 30C and in a room at 10-20C. Huge difference to idle temperature and cooling "strength".

hey, thanks for the long explain, but i need an answer regard of Max Fan speed, not the temperature....., my country is really hot, so under 95 celsius is kinda acceptable, tho bad paste is right, Acer always did a bad paste, i did repaste on my old Predator series once, dropped from 98 to 70 at maximum usage, anyway...

what i ask is "Why is my fan not reach maximum speed?"
    coz i remembered that it should be more than 4918 RPM

• pulkitking24
    pulkitking24 Member Posts: 109 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    go to acer support site and put a repair request they will send a agent and they will replace your fan. if they don't then you need to find a pic of similar laptop with fan speed reaching max i think you can find similar laptop video on youtube. 
  • TeaSea
    go to acer support site and put a repair request they will send a agent and they will replace your fan. if they don't then you need to find a pic of similar laptop with fan speed reaching max i think you can find similar laptop video on youtube. 

i would like to do that as last resort, but well seem like i need to do it lol
  • Frodosynthesis
    TeaSea said:

hey, thanks for the long explain, but i need an answer regard of Max Fan speed, not the temperature....., my country is really hot, so under 95 celsius is kinda acceptable, tho bad paste is right, Acer always did a bad paste, i did repaste on my old Predator series once, dropped from 98 to 70 at maximum usage, anyway...

I have the Acer Nitro 5 AN517-41 and the max speeds are the same as yours. Both GPU and CPU, down to the last digit, so I can't really say they are not spinning at maximal physical capacity
  • TeaSea
    edited July 2021
    TeaSea said:

I have the Acer Nitro 5 AN517-41 and the max speeds are the same as yours. Both GPU and CPU, down to the last digit, so I can't really say they are not spinning at maximal physical capacity

there're many ppl mentioned out there that this model (Nitro) reach above 5k RPM for CPU
    the same goes for other older model like my previous Predator G3-572 (3-4 years ago) which can reach a maximum of 6122 RPM for both GPU CPU even at like 70-75 celsius

links :

• Frodosynthesis
    TeaSea said:
    TeaSea said:

there're many ppl mentioned out there that this model (Nitro) reach above 5k RPM for CPU
    the same goes for other older model like my previous Predator G3-572 (3-4 years ago) which can reach a maximum of 6122 RPM for both GPU CPU even at like 70-75 celsius

links :

2nd link "Fans stuck at full RPM" could very well be an error in the readout.
    Understand that it is extremely unlikely that we both get faulty fans that just so happen to run at the same faulty max speed. It's extremely unlikely.
    The fan speed could have been limited by a bios update. Acer might have decided that the extra fan speed is not needed for the cooling. The most likely option is that the engineers figured out that anything beyond the current max speed is an overkill, in a sense that it won't lead to a cooler chip, whilst making more noise and potentially decreasing lifespan.
    Both links that you have provided are of old Acer models (1600 series Nvidia GPUs and older AMD/Intel CPUs).
    Acer improved a lot in the design over the previous generations of Acer Nitro 5s. One of those improvements could have very well been a reduction in fan speed because the extra was not worth the lifespan reduction.
    AMD stated that the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs are designed to run at hot temperatures, and only shutting down at temperatures over 105C.
    Acer noticed that the GPU always ran quite cold (~70C), so they updated the BIOS, raising the power limit. They have seen that they had space to extend the TDP of the GPU without sacrificing the temperature a lot.
    I highly doubt they would update the BIOS just to raise the fan speeds of the CPU, when the CPU is running as designed.

Finally, the fans can only do so much to cool down the chip. As a physicist I can tell you that for the die size and the heatsink design, there is an upper limit to fan efficiency. What I mean is that if the Acer engineers noticed that at 5k, the fans expel the maximum amount of heat that the heatsink allows. Any number above the 5k RPM would be wasted. Heat would not be expelled at a higher rate and the fans would just be louder and have a shorter lifespan.
    I remember that my Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC pumped up the fan speed to 80%+ whenever the CPU temperature reached 80+ degrees C [ Ryzen 5 1600, RX 580, 16 GB RAM ].
    My current Acer Nitro 5 does get a bit louder at 88-91C, but nothing serious. If that were the older laptop with the older CPU that was rated at 95C, those fans would wake up my neighbors. I think that the Nitro 5s fans would go to 100% if the temps were 95C+, since it's getting close to throttle temperatures/shutdown

All in all, it's a newer model, with newer-more efficient components and updated mobo/fans. Don't compare it to laptops that were designed in 2019/2020. I highly doubt the 6k fan RPM speed meant anything for the cooling of the components. Most likely an overkill as the heatsink couldn't expel the heat that fast. You can have fans going 100 000 RPM and it still wouldn't mean a thing if the heatsink is of smaller form factor (eg. laptop heatsink).
    If you had a heatsink the size of the laptop itself, then the 100 000 RPM fans would be useful.
  • TeaSea
    nvm, i asked On-Site support to repaste the thermal paste with my Thermalright TFX
    now i can ignore the fan speed.. and stayed on low temp.
  • pulkitking24
    pulkitking24 Member Posts: 109 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    I still recommend you to have your fan replaced because your laptop fan isn't running at it's max speed I had similar issue when my laptop fan got replaced the replacement fan didn't go above 4700 rpm then I had to put another request to have it replaced now it's working fine.