Keys get stuck/unresponsive A515-51G,

sevenwells
sevenwells Member Posts: 4 New User
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi,

Recently my 'A' key got stuck as if it were being held down even though the key wasn't being pressed. Then it stopped acting like it was pressed and refused to work at all. I tried restarting, updating drivers, cleaning under the key, but nothing worked. After a while though, the problem went away on its own. Later on, the same would happen to my " ' " key, and that also went away eventually. It's happened again though, the a button again, and I literally have to ctrl+v the letter a as I type this...

It may go away on its own again but I'd like to fix it altogether if possible. The only similar issue with a solution I could find online said they got it fixed by removing the "multimedia key panel", but I have no idea what that is, and a quick google search only led back to that same page. I tried to disable the multimedia keys via the bios but apparently acer doesn't give you that option...

any suggestions appreciated

Thanks,
 Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    It might help to reveal your full ACER model number. For example, A515-54G? From your description, the issue is more likely due to hygroscopic sticky debris (aka food  crumbs) getting trapped in the keyswitch under the key cover. Issue usually worsens in warm humid conditions. You might be able to improve or regain response by using a soft facial blush brush to gently dig under the key cover to loosen the debris while blowing exhaust from a vacuum cleaner or canned air to help clear it away.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi sevenwells,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• JackE
    It might help to reveal your full ACER model number. For example, A515-54G? From your description, the issue is more likely due to hygroscopic sticky debris (aka food  crumbs) getting trapped in the keyswitch under the key cover. Issue usually worsens in warm humid conditions. You might be able to improve or regain response by using a soft facial blush brush to gently dig under the key cover to loosen the debris while blowing exhaust from a vacuum cleaner or canned air to help clear it away.

Jack E/NJ

• sevenwells
    sevenwells Member Posts: 4 New User
    The model is A515-51G, sorry, I should've included that.

I'll try to clean it more thoroughly, thank you.
  • JackE
    Good luck. Don't dig too hard under the key cover with the brush because it might pop off. Key covers are usually difficult to get back on.

Jack E/NJ