My laptop won't wake up Aspire 5 A515-56

voon
voon Member Posts: 3 New User
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello, my laptop is Acer Aspire 5 A515-56. And every time I put my laptop to sleep it won't wake up but there is light when I press my laptop. I tried to do power setting I saw online but it won't work just now I but my laptop will never sleep and then after a while my laptop screen freeze I need help plz

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi voon,

Try to do power drain,

1. Shutdown the unit.
    2. Unplug the cables connected to the unit.
    3. At bottom of the unit there will be a small tiny pin hole with a battery symbol close to it. Take a pin or a paper clip insert into it you feels like pressing a button hold it for 20-30 seconds. 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    When in failure mode, does a long press of the power button, forcing a power down, allow you to then turn it on normally?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • voon
    billsey said:
    When in failure mode, does a long press of the power button, forcing a power down, allow you to then turn it on normally?
    I need to force shut down my laptop then I can turn it on normally. But now it is doing it every time even though I set my laptop never go to sleep but it still go to sleep by itself and i need to shut down again
  • voon
    Easwar said:
    Hi voon,

Try to do power drain,

1. Shutdown the unit.
    2. Unplug the cables connected to the unit.
    3. At bottom of the unit there will be a small tiny pin hole with a battery symbol close to it. Take a pin or a paper clip insert into it you feels like pressing a button hold it for 20-30 seconds. 

I tried it doesn't work. still the same my laptop wont wake up but the keyboard got light
  • zamiruddin
    zamiruddin Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi voon
    Same like me..my new laptop Acer Aspire 5 sleep and won't wake up again.
  • Easwar
    Hi voon,

Connect the charger and try to turn ON.
  • Kaycee51
    Kaycee51 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, did anyone get this sorted, I've had my Aspire 5 about a month and was working fine and now whenever it goes to sleep or i shut the lid I can't get it to wake up.  The only way to do it is to long press the power button and force it to close down properly and then restart it?  before i try and go through all the hassle of sending it back, is there a simple solution or a known fault.  Not particluarly technical so don't like messing around with it too much!
  • shiftless
    shiftless Member Posts: 5 New User
    Same here, A515-56 with Xe graphics. It's not a power issue, if I plug in an external monitor during this "black screen" after waking, it works. So, it's a graphics issue, something is not coming back on after the rest of the computer wakes.

There is a LOT of info on the web about this, going back 6 or 7 years with various brands, but nothing so far is helpful.

I tried backdating the graphics driver, but if you go back too far, it doesn't support the current version of windows, and if you don't go back far enough, it says "this driver version already installed, quitting installation". So no luck trying another driver so far. 

I've been through all of the available power and sleep settings many times, although I note that there used to be more options on previous versions of windows. 

Any help is appreciated. 
  • bethgoodsoil
    bethgoodsoil Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am also having the exact same problem.  When the laptop goes into sleep mode - either by itself or because I put it into sleep mode, the only way to reactivate it is to hold down the start button and force a restart, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a sleep mode in the first place.  This is a brand new laptop and I'm feeling a bit fed up with this. 
  • Easwar
    Hi bethgoodsoil,

Try to change the sleep settings as never,

How to change Sleep settings on Windows 10
  • andycorr
    andycorr Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm having the same issue. Laptop worked fine, but in the last week, the screen won't light out of sleep. Setting it to never sleep is not an acceptable solution. This machine worked, and now it doesn't, so I like to get a fix, and not a workaround. 
  • wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,216 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited July 2021
  • andycorr
    andycorr Member Posts: 2 New User
    wascas said:
    This fixed it!! Thank you. Annoying that the machine worked, but then stopped without any updates being installed, and needed a BIOS update to "fix" it.

Thank you wacas.

• Easwar
    Hi voon,

Is there any update.
  • MarciG
    MarciG Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited August 2021
    And I have weird situation that my laptop gets into sleep mode every 20 mins of not using it. I have sleep mode turned off. Is it normal? Adding that during this sleep mode (and plugged up charger!) it disconnects pendrive/sd card...