Aspire XC-830 upgrade GPU to GT 1030

Simonebuso
Simonebuso Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi everybody,
I'm trying to install a GT 1030 on an Aspire XC-830.
GPU specs say that the power consumption of the board is 30W so I replaced the 65W external PSU with an 120W one.

The problem is that when I try to power on the PC it won't boot, no beep from bios, no bios screen, only fans running. Either putting hdmi on integrated port it doesn't work. 

Do you have any idea? 

I already tried to downgrade the bios but it always return to the last rev.  maybe with a factory partition. 

Looks like an HW problem but it doesn't make any beep... 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    I assume the 120W supply is also at 19V like the stock supply? Does it boot with the new supply and without the GPU card?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Simonebuso
    Thank you for your reply!

Yes, it is. No problem with new supply and no pcie GPU.

I'd like to try with 230w.. 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,939 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    Hi everybody,
    I'm trying to install a GT 1030 on an Aspire XC-830.
    GPU specs say that the power consumption of the board is 30W so I replaced the 65W external PSU with an 120W one.

The problem is that when I try to power on the PC it won't boot, no beep from bios, no bios screen, only fans running. Either putting hdmi on integrated port it doesn't work. 

Do you have any idea? 

I already tried to downgrade the bios but it always return to the last rev.  maybe with a factory partition. 

Looks like an HW problem but it doesn't make any beep... 

Thank you in advance, 
    Simone

"Simonebuso" you have massively underestimated your PSU specs, your XT-830 has an OEM PSU of 65W and the GT-1030 with DDR4 and the DDR5 memory variants all require a minimum and recommended system power (W) of 300W so you are massively underpowered for this GPU. I suggest that you buy a 400W PSU as you will be ok with that PSU. It’s a simple equation see the NIDIA GT 1030 GPU Engine Specs as that will outline everything about the GT-1030. Also, don’t downgrade the BIOS as it will do nothing, always have and make sure that you have the last BIOS version R01-B3 dated 2020/04/24 ‘Update TXE to v4.0.20.1311’ installed also.

• Simonebuso
    Thanks @StevenGen for your reply!

For sure I'll try with a more powerful PSU.

Let's look at this article from Tomshw:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gt-1030-2gb,5110-9.html

It looks like it won't absorb more than 40W of power.

In the specs they write Min 300W for a std desktop configuration ( with an i7 CPU etc) but we are talking about a "laptop style" pc with a 10W CPU, super power saving components and external psu.. 

I'm just a little bit in doubt, but for sure I'll try with a bigger PSU!

Thank you
  • Simonebuso
    Even with a 250w PSU  it does not work...

Is It possible that there is some lock from Acer? Like they don't want you to replace components?

The same GPU on another PC works nice!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Most likely the 'lock' is in the trace size on the motherboard. They are designed for low current and you are trying to push too much through...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.