Does the Aspire M5 583P-6637 have a slot for an nvme?

Dingle
Dingle Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello,
I can't find the info anywhere. I would like to know before opening it up if this laptop has a slot for a nvme or maybe a second slot for another ssd? Thanks!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    >>>I would like to know before opening it up>>>

Sorry, you must open the bottom cover to be sure. Earlier production models came with a now mostly obsolete mSATA card socket that is wider and incompatible with  the narrower m.2 nvme or m.2 SATA3 card sockets. To further complicate matters, if you indeed have an m.2 card socket, you must also check to see if it has one or two plastic key bumps that fit the m.2 card sockets keyway slots. If your m.2 socket has two plastic key bumps, an nvme card usually won't fit since it has only one keyway slot as shown below. .

Jack E/NJ

• Dingle
    Dingle Member Posts: 2 New User
    Okay thanks! I ended up opening it up and it looks like there's a slot but it's really small and isn't labeled for a size.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    #19 should be the mSATA or m.2 card connector. If it has two plastic key bumps, it's likely not an NVME socket.

#8 should be the 2.5" HDD or 2.5" SSD SATA3 connector. #8 socket is smaller than #19 and should be connected to the 2.5" HDD or 2.5" SSD with a short cable.

Jack E/NJ

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Good catch Jacke 👍I didn't realise some shipped with msata :)