Upgrade Acer Vetrion M670

AndrewMwangi
AndrewMwangi Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi Guys I have a Acer Vetrion M670 with a Pentium (R) Core 2 Duo processor E5200 2.50GHz and I would like to upgrade to a Core i7 processor for gaming purposes is it possible

Comments

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    No it wouldnt be possible, you have to keep in the same TDP and keep the same processor generation is it the 8400 you have?
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @AndrewMwangi

PCs of the C2D CPU era are just not capable of playing modern, graphics intensive fast moving games. Current market price for a decent gaming machine will run close to USD ~$800+. High performance gaming machines may be ~USD $2,000. Gaming PCs just demand the very high performance, unlike the general purpose PCs. However, you can play some modern games with current entry level PCs ( having integrated graphics, Intel 10th generation  or AMD Ryzen processors). Playing games in 1080p resolution mode will experience some lags. Those kind of PCs can be in the USD $400-$550 range. Adding  decent graphics card and upgrading PSU will  easily be another ~USD $400, bringing total cost to ~USD 800+.

Well, for playing card games, you can do that from almost every PC.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,456 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    Hi Guys I have a Acer Vetrion M670 with a Pentium (R) Core 2 Duo processor E5200 2.50GHz and I would like to upgrade to a Core i7 processor for gaming purposes is it possible

As "@AndrewMwangi" has said, these older desktops will never be able to play the modern games but will be able to play their era type games so, this desktop will be a lower level desktop irrespective of how much you upgrade it to. 

Your Veriton-M670 with its OEM Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale Socket 775 type CPU has no Intel i7 type CPU upgrade as the highest CPU that you can upgrade to is the; “Core 2 Duo E8600” which is a 2 core, 2 threads, frequency of 3.333 GHz, FSB of 1333 MHz, L2 cache 6MB and TPD of 65W that will give you a performance increase of about 40% over your OEM Pentium E5200 CPU. Also, there is a higher spec CPU (which was the extreme) which is the Xeon L3110 which is the same as the Core 2 Duo E8600 but has lower TPD of 45W. these are all the options as far as using your OEM motherboard for a CPU upgrade but, you can also upgrade the HDD to an SSD, also put more RAM (max 8GB DDR3-SDRAM) and upgrading to a better GPU you will also have to upgrade the PSU for more power to suite these higher spec GPU's. That is all that you can do as this Veriton M670 is limited to what it can be upgraded to.