Clicky Touchpad A515-45-R4KW

MarkKauer
MarkKauer Member Posts: 4 New User
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Whenever I press the touchpad anywhere (unless very lightly) it produces a clicky sound. Is it supposed to be like that?
Video demonstrating the problem: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QmhAyQaBn-sFn0H2JdqJnojRCQMzMo5u/view?usp=sharing 
I still have warranty on the laptop, should I just return it?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>A515-45-R4KW>>>

It's a haptic feedback touchpad. It's designed to tell you that a touch entry has been registered/recognized similar to the upc label scanner beeps, boops etc at  supermarket or WalMart checkouts. If you don't like it, immediately return it to the vendor for a refund or exchange on another model or brand before the vendor's return merchandise policy period expires, usually only a few weeks.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Depends on the model. There are hundreds of ACER laptop models. Some with tactile and/or aural touch haptic feedback, some cheaper ones without. Which model do you have? If the touchpad otherwise seems to function OK, you probably have one of the haptic types.

Jack E/NJ

• MarkKauer
    hmmmmmmmmmm
  • MarkKauer
    JackE said:
    Depends on the model. There are hundreds of ACER laptop models. Some with tactile and/or aural touch haptic feedback, some cheaper ones without. Which model do you have? If the touchpad otherwise seems to function OK, you probably have one of the haptic types.

A515-45-R4KW is the model

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi MarkKauer,

Press and hold Fn+ tap on F7 or just tap on F7 alone.
  • MarkKauer
    Easwar said:
    Hi MarkKauer,

Press and hold Fn+ tap on F7 or just tap on F7 alone.
    That just turned my trackpad off. The problem doesn't have anything to do with software, its the clickyness of the trackpad
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>A515-45-R4KW>>>

It's a haptic feedback touchpad. It's designed to tell you that a touch entry has been registered/recognized similar to the upc label scanner beeps, boops etc at  supermarket or WalMart checkouts. If you don't like it, immediately return it to the vendor for a refund or exchange on another model or brand before the vendor's return merchandise policy period expires, usually only a few weeks.

Jack E/NJ

• tewasm
    tewasm Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited July 2021
    I have a different model (Aspire A515-44G), but I have the same "problem" - the trackpad  physically clicks whenever I touch it.  It sounds almost like there's a part loose inside the trackpad.  It worried me at first, because the whole reason I bought the new Acer was because the trackpad on my previous laptop, an HP, failed.  However, I was too lazy to return the Acer.  I've been using it for a few months with the "clicky" trackpad, and it works fine, but I'm being ultra careful with it....
  • JackE
    >>>I've been using it for a few months with the "clicky" trackpad, and it works fine,

It's essentially the same feedback touchpad as the 55. It's working as it should. If you don't like the feedback feature, then return it to the vendor for a refund or a different laptop. 

Jack E/NJ