5920g alternative graphics card

trucker55
trucker55 Member Posts: 23

Tinkerer

edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
hello there:

I own a near pristine old 5920g laptop. The Geforce 8600m GT card just *gave up the ghost*. I really don't want to go sideways where a replacement card is concerned, but install a later improved card.
Radeon was an alternative card to the Geforce, in particular the 3650a mxm card. Now neither of these cards supported directx11, but I have been looking at the Radeon 7650a card which IS a later improved card. The slot is the same as far as I can see, there is one slight exception, on the far left side (or right depending which side is up) the 7650 has an extra contact blade that the 3650 does not. Can anyone think of a reason why the card wouldn't work properly?

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-7650a.c1694

thx very much

Answers

• trucker55

Tinkerer

More research....I find that MXM II cards are physically not quite the same as MXM 3 cards, the difference being the *notch* in the bottom corner of the II cards and there being no notch on the 3 cards. so it seems that the card I had my eye on is not compatible at all. Apart from the original 8600m GT card what possible later cards would be appropriate that were directx 11 capable? Win7 is directx 11.
  • trucker55

Tinkerer

Hmmmmm......can anyone tell me if the Nvidia 9600m GT is the same physical size as the 8600m GT?
    there is absolutely no additonal room to get anything of a physically larger card in the mxm slot.