TC895 won't allow boot options.

ptiang74
ptiang74 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I bought a barely used TC895 with a wiped HDD. It's not a hardware problem as I saw it working prior to purchase.
It won't go into boot menu to boot from either DVD or USB, just tries to boot from HDD then says "please select proper boot device".
What I've tried based on internet advice:
in BIOS set 1st boot device to USB or DVD (tried both neither works)
set a supervisor password
secure boot disabled
boot menu enabled
disabled boot from HDD
F12 on reboot does not bring up boot options (F12 is recognized when I press it because it asks for the supervisor password)

All ACER tech support suggested is to F9 reset BIOS - tried this and doesn't make a difference

Any ideas please, just need it to boot from USB or DVD. Done this to heaps of PCs why is this one so difficult

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Will F-10 work or( Fn + F10) ? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Get rid of the supervisor password, it's not needed. You only need to have Secure Boot disabled and the F12 boot menu enabled. You can also ignore the various boot priority settings since they are bypassed in the F12 boot menu. What are you trying to boot from? I'd normally expect you would be trying to boot from a Windows 10 Home 64bit install image on a USB flash drive, but it sounds like you might be trying some DVD instead?
    If you have to use Fn-F2 to get into the BIOS then you would have to use Fn-F12 to get into the boot menu. The boot menu will give you the option to boot from any UEFI boot image it can find.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ptiang74
    ptiang74 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

none of the above suggestions work. billsey said:
     You only need to have Secure Boot disabled and the F12 boot menu enabled. 
    I thought it would be that simple too but , no.  None of the suggestions work. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    What image are you trying to boot from? How was the image created? Unless the system has a problem reading from the USB ports a Windows 10 install image should show up just fine as described.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi ptiang74,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password

4 Methods to Reset an Acer Laptop with Windows 7810 or Linux

3 Ways to Reset Windows 10 Computer to Factory Settings  Password Recovery
    3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. Recovery - 25
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​