Image Created Seemed Will Span Over to Other Partition for My Aspire TC-885-UA91 and Other PCs

ttttt
ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
I have multiple PCs, multiple Windows 10 versions (32-bit and 64-bit, Home and Pro) and multiple drives  *(3.5" spinning HDD, 2.5"external HDD and M.2 NVMe SSD through adapters) for Win 10 system images storage.

Generally speaking, any non-hardware problems should not bother me much as long as I have system image stored. 

Prior to Win 10 20H2 (or even earlier), I was able to create multiple system images on the HDD, but now I don't see an option in Create System Image settings to allow that and only can overwrite the previous image.

Most of my PC boot drives use 150 GB or less capacities. Those slow and old 3.5" spinning drives will not be used for data, but for image backup only. Doing the image backup once every few months  with a slow 1 TB drive is O.K. without throwing the drive to the trash. Using 1 TB for 150 GB image is kind of waste, so I reformatted and created two 500GB partitions recently with the intention of keeping two images for different time points.

Also, with so many PCs, Windows versions and drives around, it is not easy to keep track with which one has which image to be used. Recently, I bought a 5TB external drive and created ten partitions on it with the hope of using it as a centralized drive for all images.

After creating a system image with Win 10 Home, I noticed the image file though created in the partition that I specified, part of the image ( about 30-40 GB) appeared under another blank, unused NTFS partition. As I checked that should be blanked NTFS partition, nothing (at least no files appeared) is under the partition, as blank as it should be. However, under This PC listed view, I can see 30-40GB being used in that blank partition. How can I rely on such image spanned over other partition for back up?

This not only happened to the Acer TC-885-UA91 PC, it happened to other PC too. The new 5TB 2.5" external HDD and an old 3.5" HDD have the same problem, both have multiple partitions. I haven't tried that with other M.2 NVMe SSD and 2.5" external HDD using just one partition only, as those had been proven to work just fine. My other newly built PC with Win 10 Pro was able to create image to one partition of the 5TB external HDD  correctly.

So, I believe the problem is with image creation with a drive with multiple partitions for Win 10 Home. Just do not know other people have seen something like that or similar problems? I should not create system image with a drive with multiple partitions from the beginning or I did something wrong?