Acer Aspire 3 A315-21-95KF - Can't access BIOS or Recovery Boot - Stuck on Acer Logo

JohnSwine
JohnSwine Member Posts: 4 New User
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello,

Acer Aspire 3 - Model: A315-21-95KF

I received this laptop from someone that needed it set up for a new user. 
When I received it, it was in a startup loop, attempting repairs, then failing.

I did a fresh install of Windows 10 via USB, and it worked fine. No issues.
When I installed Windows I installed it using my credentials, and when I realized this I went to reinstall Windows again, this time for a local user, so I wouldn't be attached.

As I was going through the steps for installation I deleted all partitions, then had it create new ones automatically.
At this point, I clicked to start the installation, without selecting the correct partition.

Realizing my mistake, I clicked to cancel the installation, which it did.
After cancelling, I powered the laptop down, and have not been able to POST since.

The laptop powers on, and displays the "Acer" logo, but never does anything past this. There are no spinners indicating it's attempting to do anything.
The fan does turn on as well.

I am unable to access the BIOS menu using the "F2" key during startup.
I am unable to do a recovery boot using "Ctrl + F10" keys during startup.

I have done this after unplugging ac adapter, removing battery, removing HDD, removing RAM, removing CMOS battery, and resetting the internal battery using the pinhole.

I have removed all external media from the laptop.

I get the same result with or without the Windows Boot USB.

It never does anything except display the "Acer" logo

I've been researching this for the past day or two with no luck... so did I brick this laptop? Maybe someone can help me flash the bios?

Thanks for any help.

Answers

• JohnSwine
    "ALT + F10" not ctrl
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,167 Pathfinder
    JohnSwine

If you have removed all the partitions , doing alt + f10 while starting the computer will not work..

Possibly reinstalling the windows using flash drive will be the solution for your problem.      Now our goal is to get into bios..   

Doing the power drain and bios defaults will really help.  Kindly follow the steps given below:

Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug  the charger cable, devices or any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, you can find a  pin hole. It is a tiny hole. You can a find a battery symbol indicator next to the hole. It is like a + and - sign symbol as though somebody is trying to shift the battery out. Insert the pin on to the hole for 30 seconds. Remove the pin. Flip the laptop. Connect the charger cable, turn on the computer.  Only on laptops where the battery is inbuilt you can find the battery reset hole on the back of laptop.

If you dont find a pin hole on the back of laptop then you might be using removable battery. There is no need to unscrew anything to remove the battery.  Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug  the charger cable, devices and any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, please look at the top or bottom depending on the way you look at it. You can find a long door. It is a battery removable door.  Just below that you can find a latch.  If you move the latch you can remove the battery door. Once the battery is removed,  flip the laptop. Open the top cover, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Connect the battery back on the back of computer. Connect the charger cable back and then turn on the computer. 

If you don’t see a reset pin hole on the back of laptop or if you are not able to remove the battery (if it is inbuilt ) then please unplug all the cables and devices out of laptop.   Hold the power button for 1 minute.   Connect all the cables back and restart the computer.  

While turning on the computer, tap f2. It  will go to bios. Press f9  once. It will show load bios defaults with a yes or no popup. Press enter. Popup screen will disappear.  Press f10 once. It will show save changes popup with yes or no. Press enter. 

Please try to reintsall windows now using flash drive now.. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JohnSwine
    @Acer-William

Thanks for the response - it does have the pin hole, however this method yields the same results.

I'm still unable to get into the BIOS, and it doesn't make it past the Acer logo with no spinners or other messages.
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,167 Pathfinder
    edited July 2021
    JohnSwine

If you are not able to get into bios then it is a hardware issue..    Please unplug all the external devices and check.   Doing power drain and bios defaults was the best solution for your issue.  

While turning on the computer tap f12 and check.    If the boot menu is not disabled in bios you are suppose to get the boot menu.    Please unplug if any usb or external devices are connected. 

It might also be the issue with battery, charger or power outlet.   Try to use the charger in a different room on a different power outlet.  Try to bypass the surge protector and connect it directly to power outlet.    Try to use an alternative charger if possible.    Try to turn on the computer without the charger and check it  ( as long as the battery is not drained out )  

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JohnSwine
    JohnSwine

If you are not able to get into bios then it is a hardware issue..    Please unplug all the external devices and check.   Doing power drain and bios defaults was the best solution for your issue.  

While turning on the computer tap f12 and check.    If the boot menu is not disabled in bios you are suppose to get the boot menu.    Please unplug if any usb or external devices are connected. 

It might also be the issue with battery, charger or power outlet.   Try to use the charger in a different room on a different power outlet.  Try to bypass the surge protector and connect it directly to power outlet.    Try to use an alternative charger if possible.    Try to turn on the computer without the charger and check it  ( as long as the battery is not drained out )  

Thanks for the response @Acer-William

Unfortunately I believe my motherboard was bricked. I replaced the motherboard and reinstalled Windows successfully.