Acer TC 705 upgrade solutions? Graphics a must!

Betelgeuse
Betelgeuse Member Posts: 2 New User
Novice. I know some things but am not expert on fine details (hence why I’m here). 

I got this PC because it has a good Processor and I hoped to upgrade it when needed. 

Primarily I’m looking to upgrade the Graphics Card on my Acer Aspire TC 705. I’m not opposed to RAM upgrades either - or other things that will improve things generally. Currently the PC is completely stock with no upgrades. 

The days of research I’ve done have basically baffled me. From what I see on multiple sites the 300W Power Supply may be on the weak side, and may need replacing in order to beef up the Graphics. Depending on the card I may need 6 pin cables or something. 

Space seems to be limited on both card selection and PSU replacement. Temperature seems to be an issue that needs consideration. 

*** What PSU will I need for this case if needed?  

*** What graphics cards do you recommend £500+ isn’t an option but I’m open to general pointers. I’ll make sure the one I get fits the space. 

*Please Note*. I will upgrade this PC - the answer of “save the money and buy a gaming PC that’s better” isn’t really going to help. 

All other suggestions will be very much appreciated. I thank you in advance for any pointers or suggestions. 

Specs: 

SSID: 51465528630
Part No: DT.SXNEK.015 (google that for the details but to save you time here’s the outline): 

Processor Model: i7-4770 Quad-core 3.40 GHz

Memory: 12 GB (Maximum Capacity 16 GB) DDR3 SDRAM (DDR3-1600/PC3-12800)

Storage: x1 2TB Serial ATA/300 Hard Drive (RPM 5400)

Graphics: (please don’t laugh) Radeon™ R7 240 that I’d love to just dispose of…

PSU - manufacturers standard 300W. 

Also has 3 I/O Expansion options being: 

PCI Express x1 Slot (1 of) 

PCI Express x16 Slot (1 of) 

Mini PCI Express Slot (1 of)

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,178 Pathfinder
    Betelgeuse

Please follow the details from link given below

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/545262/acer-aspire-tc-705-gpu-upgrade
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-TC-705/14711
    https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/aspire-tc-705-compatibility.3643837/

If you are interested to upgrade the memory or ssd..

Please visit the website  given below .  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .   Please chose the options and try it.   It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,456 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    Novice. I know some things but am not expert on fine details (hence why I’m here). 

I got this PC because it has a good Processor and I hoped to upgrade it when needed. 

Primarily I’m looking to upgrade the Graphics Card on my Acer Aspire TC 705. I’m not opposed to RAM upgrades either - or other things that will improve things generally. Currently the PC is completely stock with no upgrades. 

The days of research I’ve done have basically baffled me. From what I see on multiple sites the 300W Power Supply may be on the weak side, and may need replacing in order to beef up the Graphics. Depending on the card I may need 6 pin cables or something. 

Space seems to be limited on both card selection and PSU replacement. Temperature seems to be an issue that needs consideration. 

*** What PSU will I need for this case if needed?  

*** What graphics cards do you recommend £500+ isn’t an option but I’m open to general pointers. I’ll make sure the one I get fits the space. 

*Please Note*. I will upgrade this PC - the answer of “save the money and buy a gaming PC that’s better” isn’t really going to help. 

All other suggestions will be very much appreciated. I thank you in advance for any pointers or suggestions. 

Specs: 

SSID: 51465528630
    Part No: DT.SXNEK.015 (google that for the details but to save you time here’s the outline): 

Processor Model: i7-4770 Quad-core 3.40 GHz

Memory: 12 GB (Maximum Capacity 16 GB) DDR3 SDRAM (DDR3-1600/PC3-12800)

Storage: x1 2TB Serial ATA/300 Hard Drive (RPM 5400)

Graphics: (please don’t laugh) Radeon™ R7 240 that I’d love to just dispose of…

PSU - manufacturers standard 300W. 

Also has 3 I/O Expansion options being: 

PCI Express x1 Slot (1 of) 

PCI Express x16 Slot (1 of) 

Mini PCI Express Slot (1 of)

Look Betelgeuse, there are many aspects and criteria’s in upgrading a desktop PC that is not possible with newer and even 4th Gen Intel laptops. With your TC-705 this desktop comes with either an NVIDIA GT or GTX GPU card or an AMD R5 or R7 card. I would suggest that you upgrade your OEM AMD R7-240 GPU to "At Least" a GTX1060 or a GTX-1660Ti that will give you 550% increased performance and requires 300W PSU or even a GTX-1080 or GTX-1080Ti that will give you 745% increased performance and requires 500W PSU (all stats are from NVIDIA) but all this depends on your budget? Also the GPU is dependant and based on what you want to use your desktop for? Either for gaming and/or video editing or CAD etc that you are doing and the listed and recommended/minimum requirements of the games and applications etc as the GTX-1660 or the GTX-1080 can handle all that.

However; keep in mind that this would also require a Power supply (PSU) upgrade and I would go to the upper range category of the 500W or the 650W range. Remember that as the tri-rail (3x low-end 12V+ rails). A GTX-1060 (in conjunction with your existing system specs) you need a "minimum" supply of approx. 35 amps on the 12V+ rail. In order to avoid and to "load balance" in the system, it is highly recommended to purchase a single rail design with "at least" that 35 Amps and a min of 300W required for the GTX-1660 which and as I’ve said, puts you in the 500w category to be safe or the GTX-1080 puts you in the 650W range to be safe.

Now, if this was my PC I would do the following upgrades as you can upgrade the CPU, the OEM spinner HDD to an SSD and the RAM to its max of 16GB DDR3 DIMM memory into its 2x slots at 8GB DDR3. In saying all this these are my suggestions:

1. CPU - (optional) upgrade your OEM i7-4770 to the higher Core i7-4790T (4 cores, 8 threads, 2.7 to 3.9GHz, L2 at 1MB, L3 at 8MB and a TPD of 45W) which is a CPU that Acer has fitted to the TC-705 and will give you a suitable improvement if you upgrade the GPU.

2. Memory - max suggested memory that the TC-705 can take is 16GB at DDR3-1600 DIMM into its 2 slots of memory (2x 8GB at DDE3-1600MHz DIMM's) but, you can put 2x DDR3-1866MHz DIMM's (PC3-14900) memory modules as they will work. 

Btw - I've done this to an Aspire V3-571G with the i7-3610QM CPU and the GeForce GT-640M that has a suggested max memory of 8GB (into its 2x slots) and that its max suggested memory speed is at DDR3-1600MHz and I've put DDR3-1866MHz (PC3-14900 and it works 100% and its memory together with the 2.5” Samsung 850 EVO SSD drive has given me their highest score at Crucial Memory Scan  (that also recommends 16GB max RAM which I didn't know about for this V3-571G laptop, that its suggested max memory total is at 8GB) which is more reason that you should do the same to get Crucial suggested of the max memory and their suggested memory type for your TC-705!

3. GPU - due to cost and your budget? I would recommend the min upgrade card to be the GTX-1660 or the GTX-1660Ti or at the higher end the 1080 or the 1080Ti as that will give you a 550% or a 745% improvement in performance to your existing Radeon™ R7 240.

4. HDD – add to your existing OEM 3.5” spinner SATA-3 at 6GB/sec and clone your operating system to a new 2.5” SSD SATA-3 6GB/sec (get a 3.5” to 2.5” caddy to be able to fit this new 2.5” drive into your TC-705)  I would also suggest that you use the Samsung 2.5” EVO SSD’s as they are the best and they use top quality and premium components to give them the performance advantage(s) that they have. Btw, I've been using Samsung SSD drives for years and they are very reliable and quick and I wouldn’t have any other drives in my systems. 

Below are the OEM parts and parts numbers and specs from the service manual of your TC-705 that you can upgrade to for your information, good luck and hope this helps you out.

OEM GPU's