Wake on Lan not working on Aspire TC-120 since I updated BIOS

charley000
charley000 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I updated the BIOS to the latest version on my Aspire TC-120. Bios is Version P11-A4 Date 4/26/2016
There is no Wake on Lan setting in the BIOS! There used to be.
I can't get it to work. Any ideas?

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
  • charley000

Tinkerer

Thanks Larryodie but that isn't the problem. My BIOS no longer even has the Wake On LAN setting option in it. Maybe I could go back to the previous BIOS. I assumed I was supposed to have the latest one.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Likely you don't need to set it in the BIOS, it's on by default. Just make sure it's set in the adapter drivers.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • charley000

Tinkerer

It is not even an option in this version of the bios. It was in the previous version and worked. Maybe I should try and put back the previous bios.
  • billsey
    Downgrading a BIOS is very risky and having the MB bricked would be somewhat worse than what you have now... Have you checked the adapter drivers to verify they are set to allow WoL?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • charley000

Tinkerer

OK, I won't downgrade the BIOS. Why is that riskier than upgrading the BIOS?

Yes, I have checked the adapter drivers. As I said, it worked perfectly until I upgraded the BIOS a couple weeks ago.
    You might ask why I did that. I was wondering if an updated BIOS had anything in it for TPM. Also, the BIOS I had was from 2016 and this one was from 2020.However, even though it says on the ACER website its from 2020, the BIOS itself says 2016 after you install it.
    I don't know the original BIOS. But the one on the ACER website from 2016 is version P11.A3.
    The one on the ACER website from 2020 is version P11-A4.

I will probably end up buying a new system at some point after Windows 11 is out and stable since it appears I can't upgrade this one to Windows 11 (processor not supported and no TPM).
  • billsey
    Yeah, TPM is a hardware piece, so no BIOS updates will change whether it's there or not. There shouldn't be any issue moving from P11-A3 to P11-A4, they aren't (for example) for different motherboard revisions. The BIOS upgrade software is designed only for upgrades and should fail if you try to install and old one over a new one. That means you have to jump through some pretty elaborate hoops to force a downgrade, none of which are supported.
    So, when you bring up the properties on your network port and choose the Advanced tab, the Wake on Magic Packet option isn't there? I can't see how a BIOS change would affect that, since it's a Windows driver function...