Gigabyte's GT 1030 low-profile graphics Card - An upgrade for the Aspire TC-895?

Barry24
Barry24 Member Posts: 3 New User
I had absolved myself to waiting for one of the big manufacturers to come out with a suitable upgrade for the power supply for the TC-895 when low and behold. This little gem of a GPU popped up on my local marketplace, Gigabyte's GT 1030 Low-profile has an average power consumption of just 30-50w so it gets all the power it needs from the PCIe slot. My mind reeled at the thought that this card might be just what I had been longing for. A way to fill that empty slot on my motherboard without having to trouble myself with that pesky six-pin connection.

In a fit of mad panic (as the seller posted this beauty for a mere 40$) I purchased the GPU with minimal thought. So here I am, card on the table- trying to figure out if I can make this work or not.

How much power does the DVD drive use? 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The power budget for the PCIe x16 slot should handle that just fine, without a different power supply. Give it a try and let us know how well it goes. Hopefully the previous owner of the card was just upgrading and not dumping a broken card...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Barry24
    A link to some info about the GPU
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The power budget for the PCIe x16 slot should handle that just fine, without a different power supply. Give it a try and let us know how well it goes. Hopefully the previous owner of the card was just upgrading and not dumping a broken card...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Barry24
    The installation still hasn't worked.

I have ruled out the card being faulty by taking it to a local computer store and getting them to boot it up on their test bench and run some stress tests. All of which came back within the norm for the card.

I also got them to try another low-power card like the GT 1030 in the TC-895 but it failed to work as well. Their card did allow the machine to boot up but the hdmi output remained coming from the onboard graphics. The clerk told me that it was probably a Bios setting and that the store wouldn't be able to help with that.

I am wondering if this is maybe just a lost cause.