Swollen Battery CB3-431

Options
KevinAG
KevinAG Member Posts: 4 New User
My CB3-431 is a beautiful Chromebook, but this year I noticed that the screen wouldn't close completely, then I noticed the laptop was rocking on the desk because the middle of the bottom was bulging out more than the rubber feet, and then the trackpad stopped working. Based on a YouTube video I found where someone disassembled this model, it looks like the bulging is right where the battery sits, meaning the battery is swelling enough to bulge the case. I'm afraid this could be a safety hazard. I tried to contact Acer support, but after entering my serial number they said this device is out of warranty, and they redirected me here. Does anyone know if there was a recall for this safety issue? Any other suggestions? I found some other questions about swollen batteries, but they're older posts and the DM links were dead.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    No recall that I know of. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a recall on Acer products. How old is your Chromebook? Battery\ies will sometimes swell just due to age, it's a sign that they've gotten too low several times.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • KevinAG
    Options
    The CB3-431 is a little under three years old. The battery swelling started around the two year mark. The device is still within the Google support window, but out of Acer warranty. I'm pretty fastidious about battery charging, so I doubt it has gotten too low more than once or twice in its life. I've owned ten Chromebooks, starting with the Model T's, and never had this happen before. As I've done some searches today, though, it appears that SBS (Swollen Battery Syndrome) was a problem with a couple Acer models a few years ago.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    There were issues with Lithium-Ion batteries in general for a few years, first with the fires and later with swelling. It wasn't really product specific, more like everything built during the era had lesser or greater problems. The batteries have gotten a lot smarter these days, so hopefully it's in the past. Luckily there are lots of replacement batteries available and the process isn't too difficult.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    KevinAG said:
    My CB3-431 is a beautiful Chromebook, but this year I noticed that the screen wouldn't close completely, then I noticed the laptop was rocking on the desk because the middle of the bottom was bulging out more than the rubber feet, and then the trackpad stopped working. Based on a YouTube video I found where someone disassembled this model, it looks like the bulging is right where the battery sits, meaning the battery is swelling enough to bulge the case. I'm afraid this could be a safety hazard. I tried to contact Acer support, but after entering my serial number they said this device is out of warranty, and they redirected me here. Does anyone know if there was a recall for this safety issue? Any other suggestions? I found some other questions about swollen batteries, but they're older posts and the DM links were dead.
    I am very sorry to hear this KevinAG, i have sent you a private message with more information to better assist you, please respond at your earliest convenience.

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny
  • KevinAG
    Options
    @Acer-Manny, thanks for the message. I replied to your private message. I'm new to this forum, so if I messed up and you didn't get the DM, let me know and I'll try again. I appreciate the help. For now I've unplugged the Chromebook with the swollen battery and run it down to about 50% charge to reduce risk.
  • KevinAG
    Options
    I got the battery pack out of the Chromebook. Was a bit of a challenge since the battery pack had swollen and distorted the case so much that it put pressure on the screws. Attached picture shows how much the battery pack had swollen.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    KevinAG said:
    @Acer-Manny, thanks for the message. I replied to your private message. I'm new to this forum, so if I messed up and you didn't get the DM, let me know and I'll try again. I appreciate the help. For now I've unplugged the Chromebook with the swollen battery and run it down to about 50% charge to reduce risk.
    KevinAG said:
    I got the battery pack out of the Chromebook. Was a bit of a challenge since the battery pack had swollen and distorted the case so much that it put pressure on the screws. Attached picture shows how much the battery pack had swollen.
    Thank you for the information provided, and yes i have received the information from your private message, please review and check your primate messages for my reply and let's keep the conversation there if you don't mind sir.

Note: I will be closing this thread. 

Thanks again,
    Acer-Manny
This discussion has been closed.