Heating Problems.

Options
Xsist
Xsist Member Posts: 2 New User
I own a Acer Pradator Helios, and like many people on here I have a problem with the heat. ANY game I play, it is consistently over 90 degrees C.
Steps I have taken:
-cooling pad.
-undervolted ( watched many videos and did exactly what they did for my exact laptop, could possible be something else I could try? )
-repasted gpu/cpu / cleaned fans ect

The only thing that worked, was readjusting the power to 99% in power options, which turned my cpu from 4.1ghz to run at 2.2ghz ( which significantly lowered temps while gaming). Now I am stuck with a slow cpu that stays cool.
I am not very tech savy, I cannot figure out how to underclock it from 4.1, to say like 3.5 ghz... only 4.1 straight to 2.2 ....

Are there any other option available?

Thanks for your time!!!

Answers

• Smegma11
    Smegma11 Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited July 2021
    Options
    There are about 50 Acer Predator Helios laptops. Which is your model and how old?
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi Xsist,

Change the fan speed settings in predator sense app.
  • Hell_J
    Hell_J Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hello,

Put fan speed to Auto and turn on cool boost. 
    It helps to open and clean the dust from fans if you have laptop for some time. 
    You can repaste CPU and GPU, that should lower temp for a few degrees.

You need to remember that this is a laptop so you will not get temps around 70°C while gaming, more likely to be as you have them now 85-95°C.
    Predator is designed to whitstand temps of 98°C without damaging components.

I have Helios 700 PH717-72, PH717-71 and PH517-51 and first two I have on custom fans (3000rpm, 3000rpm) daytime and on silent (2600, 2600) at night and temps are around 90°C while playing AC Valhalla on Ultra 1080p.
    PH517-51 have on custom, while gaming (also AC Valhalla on Ultra 1080p), and have speed set to 3300rpm, 3000rpm and temp is around 87-92°C. 
    I never use Auto with cool boost because it's too loud.

On normal (work, movies) use I have them set to Auto and temps don't go above 65-70°C.

PH517-51 was on 70°C, with fans on max, while idle and I opened it, cleaned and repasted it. Fans were filled with thick dust.
    After that it's on 45-50°C idle without fans working.