CPK-105 bios for Aspire 5730 not extracting

Batez4real
Batez4real Member Posts: 4 New User
My Acer Aspire 5730Z laptop doesn't recognize HDD and DVD ROM because the bios has corrupted. I Downloaded the Bios v1.05 zip from Acer website and extracted it but the CPK-105 Application file inside the folder won't run. As a result I can't flash the bios. I've downloaded the bios file severally still the same outcome. Please if there's an upgraded version of the bios please share. My laptop bios version is v1.07 but what is available on the Acer site is v1.05 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    (1) What problem were you trying to fix by installing v1.07?

(2) From where did you download v1.07?

(3) Please post a phone photo of the BIOS Information tab if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• Batez4real
    1. I never installed Bios v1.07. Laptop came with v1.07. Please read my post closely. 

Acer Aspire 5730Z cant recognize Hard Disk and DVD ROM drives. I'd like to flash the bios. I downloaded bios v1.05 but can't extract the cpk-105 file. How can I extract the cpk 105 bios application?
  • JackE
    I read your post closely. But I'm still not sure how v1.07 got on your machine as it does not seem to be an official ACER firmware version for 5730z model.

The cpk-105 file listed in your image is the actual extracted executable cpk-105.EXE. There is also a slightly different cpk-105.EXE version in the x64 subfolder folder in your image. The reason you only see the cpk-105 filename but not the EXE file type is because the options to show executable EXE or plain text TXT file types in FileExplorer or FileExplore++ has apparently been turned off.  When it's turned on your listing shows the file types like shown below.

Trying to run  CPK-105.EXE will likely produce an error message that prevents installation of an earlier BIOS version.

Jack E/NJ

• Batez4real
    Thank you for your prompt response. There's a process for upgrading or downgrading a system bios. Remember that the laptop in question is not even booting into windows. I'm using a different system to extract the executable file (cpk-105.exe). To flash the bios of system that doesn't have OS, you'll have to still extract the executable file and copy it to HEX Editor for reprogramming.
    My challenge is that this cpk-105.exe doesn't even run. Other Acer aspire models executable bios files run without error. 
    What is the issue with this particular bios file? 
  • JackE
    Phoenix BIOS recovery by the FN+ESC cold boot method is essentially un-documented. In situations like this, the EXE is usually run on a desktop or different laptop model Windows machine. It should produce an error message. The error message is left open. Then go to the C :\users folder using FileExplore. Search for a binary file with a *.ROM, *.WPH  or *.BIN extension in a temporary subdirectory created by running the EXE. This binary is then copied and renamed to BIOS.wph on a FAT32 formatted stick used in the FN+ESC cold boot method.

If you can't find the binary subdirectory, then the next method is to copy the vxd, exe and sys files to the FAT32 stick and use it with the FN+ESC method.

The FN+ESC recovery method has a poor track record (works less than 25% of the time) mainly because the BIOS chip has been damaged and unable to read the USB.  The easiest way to salvage the board is to replace the damaged chip with a preprogrammed chip. This is relatively easy to do with a small tip soldering tool since it's a surface mount with only 8 contacts. The replacement chips are only about $20usd.

If you're not comfortable replacing the chips, then new mainboards are still available for about $70 from vendors like Aliexpress.

Jack E/NJ