Cheated out of warranty in pandemic cant run a single game for more than 2 mins - Helios 300

Options
2root2
2root2 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited July 2021 in Predator Laptops
I bought a Helios 300 laptop with all my saved up money a couple years ago , raised a complaint after 2 months of purchase abut heating issues , wanted it fixed under warranty they took the complaint and then covid happened , i called and they said not yet since lockdown , i raised another request after first lockdown was over and they delayed it till warranty was over. Now they say they cant do anything.

Issues with the Laptop :
Idle Temps (max fans +cool boost) : CPU : 49 C, GPU : 45C
Idle Temps (max fans +cool boost)on AC power: CPU: 65~71 C , GPU: 67 C

gaming with AC power on Takes CPU Temps well over 90C till laptop restarts. GPU temps also reach 75C
Games : Halo MCC runs for 2 mins before laptop overheats and shuts down even with a 4 inch gap under the intake.

The Sound Driver randomly shows no audio outputs and inputs detected and always have to restart to get it to work again.

Laptop Specs:
i7 9750H
GTX 1660 Ti
16 GB RAM

Solution Tried so far :
Clean vents with compressed air cans
Re-install all drivers
Re-Install windows 10

​//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    2root2 said:
    I bought a Helios 300 laptop with all my saved up money a couple years ago , raised a complaint after 2 months of purchase abut heating issues , wanted it fixed under warranty they took the complaint and then covid happened , i called and they said not yet since lockdown , i raised another request after first lockdown was over and they delayed it till warranty was over. Now they say they cant do anything.

Issues with the Laptop :

gaming with AC power on Takes CPU Temps well over 90C till laptop restarts. GPU temps also reach 75C
    Games : Halo MCC runs for 2 mins before laptop overheats and shuts down even with a 4 inch gap under the intake.

The Sound Driver randomly shows no audio outputs and inputs detected and always have to restart to get it to work again.

Laptop Specs:
    i7 9750H
    GTX 1660 Ti
    16 GB RAM

Solution Tried so far :
    Re-install all drivers
    Re-Install windows 10
    I am very sorry to hear this 2root2, are you able to send me a private message with the serial number  or case ID number you were provided when you reported the issue to better assist you?

Note: Please keep in mind that the Acer community is not a direct portal to customer service, tech support or any escalations, the Acer Forum Discussions were designed as a peer to peer support community where Acer users help other Acer users. Many Acer employees (Moderators), read the various topics posted here and you will notice that some Acer employees interact with members when appropriate, primarily we want the community to be a place where members can exchange their own advice and ideas.

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny

• Smegma11
    Smegma11 Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited July 2021
    Options
    When you talk to them, be a little more specific with your dates. 2 months after a couple years ago, there was no pandemic yet. It was only 17 months ago when it started. If you have receipts and the warranty was valid when you sent in the first complaint, I'm sure they will handle it for you. And try being polite as opposed to spiteful and negative, it will work better.  
  • deksman2
    deksman2 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    2root2 said:

Issues with the Laptop :

Laptop Specs:
    i7 9750H
    GTX 1660 Ti
    16 GB RAM

Solution Tried so far :
    Re-install all drivers
    Re-Install windows 10

Short of bringing the laptop in so they solve the overheating issue under warranty, you could technically open the thing yourself, then thoroughly clean it from dust and repaste both the CPU and GPU.

To be fair, for this kind of work, I wouldn't take the laptop in for Acer to do it if I was you (especially if you were cheated out of your warranty).

I'd use quality thermal paste (such as Thermal FX) for the CPU and GPU dies applied via an X method.

Using compressed air cans can usually push the dust further inside the system... so, that's not always useful or recommended (manual clean is usually better).

• Smegma11
    Smegma11 Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited July 2021
    Options
    That's a cure for a 2 year old machine. If this happened 2 months after he bought it, 22 months ago,  that's probably not his cure.