Aspire VN7-572TG -3440 x 1440 Ultrawide resolution on Intel HD Graphics 520

Options
pjfoliver
pjfoliver Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Aspire VN7-572TG and recently purchased a ViewSonic VA3456-mhdj ultrawide monitor. However I can't use its native resolution of 3440x1440 @ 60hz. It also supports 24, 25, 30, 50, and 75hz. I am connecting direct HDMI-HDMI using the cable bundled with the monitor.

I used the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel to try to force it to this resolution, but it would not allow me to set 50hz and higher stating bandwidth is exceeded. At lower refresh rates, there is only garbled static.

I was successful in forcing it to 2800x1200 @ 60hz to get the right aspect ratio, but I would like to use the native resolution.

I have installed ViewSonic's INF file, updated drivers for the NVIDIA card and the Intel HD Graphics 520, and rolled back Intel's generic driver to use Acer's specific driver. Nothing has helped.

I contacted Intel support (ticket 05125905) and they said that Acer has likely made specific modifications or set limits on display output, so I am asking here (as I am out of warranty and not eligible for phone or live chat support.)

Thanks for your help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Shown below are the only resolutions & refresh rates ACER warrants though some folks have reported somewhat higher resolutions at lower rates and lower  resolutions at higher rates. The HDMI port is v1.4a. You already seem to have gone beyond the rez and 1.8 or less aspect ratios expected for the gpus.

Jack E/NJ

• pjfoliver
    pjfoliver Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    So, looks like I'm on my own if it's not 16:9? Thanks.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, but for the benefit of other users, did you actually achieve 2800x1200 on the ViewSonic because this is way over the rez and aspect ratio specs for the GPUs? There are some ACER laptops (not your model) in which the external monitor brand & model does make a difference. Maybe you discovered one for your model.   :)

Jack E/NJ