Predator 300 PH315-51 Issue updating drivers

Options
Tavillo
Tavillo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Backstory... I recently upgraded my NVMe unit (got the 980 PRO), to get the full potential of it I had to use Hard drive mode in ACHI and not SATA, so I had to reinstall windows in the new NVMe to be able to switch laptop to ACHI mode.

Now I have a freshly installed Windows, downloaded all the drivers from the acer drivers page, also all the drivers from Intel with their driver installer, but I'm still left with 4 devices with the exclamation mark on device manager, with my old NVMe I didn't have any exclamation marks. 

The devices in question are:

Base System Device
PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller 
PCI Device
SM Bus Driver.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Tavillo said:
    Backstory... I recently upgraded my NVMe unit (got the 980 PRO), to get the full potential of it I had to use Hard drive mode in ACHI and not SATA, so I had to reinstall windows in the new NVMe to be able to switch laptop to ACHI mode.

Now I have a freshly installed Windows, downloaded all the drivers from the acer drivers page, also all the drivers from Intel with their driver installer, but I'm still left with 4 devices with the exclamation mark on device manager, with my old NVMe I didn't have any exclamation marks. 

The devices in question are:

Base System Device
    PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller 
    PCI Device
    SM Bus Driver.

First, show us a caption of your "Device Manager" of where these 4 devices with these exclamation marks are? Are they in DM "Other Devices"? As these are specific drivers that could be sorted with different drivers that are not on the Acer driver site. 

Another solution is to look at each individual drivers “Hardware ID’s” see this guide “How to Find Drivers for Unknown Devices in the Device Manager” after you have found the Hardware ID then go to this site "PCIDatabase.com" to find out exsactly what that driver is and how to download it. Good luck and hope this helps you out as we all had these problems.  

• Tavillo

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi StevenGen

Thank you for your input, I will try the Hardware ID Method and circle back later on today. as for the caption it'll be attached.

• Tavillo

Tinkerer

edited June 2021
    Options
    UPDATE: FIXED THE ISSUE

Just coming back to say I couldn't update by looking up the Hardware ID's.

This is what I did to be able to have access to the old drivers. Since I cloned my OLD NVMe, I still had access to my old NVMe OS and since on that one I had all the drivers I knew there was a way to have a backup of all the drivers off that OS.

I have a SSD in my laptop besides the NVMe, so I created a Folder on the SSD to hold all the drivers. In my example I used d:\Drivers

Startup powershell in admin mode on the old NVMe that has got the drivers.

Type in the following code

Export-WindowsDriver –Online -Destination d:\Drivers

It will take a few minutes to do a backup of all the drivers saved on that OS.

After its done, powershell will have a list of all the backed up drivers.

Turn off pc and replace with new NVMe go to device manager and locate the devices having issues, right click on oy and select update drivers, and select Browse my computer for drivers, and select that folder you created to have the drivers backup, and VOILA! it will install the drivers missing, with no need of browsing everywhere online for them.

I'm sure this way would work for any model not just mine.