Aspire 5 A517-52 Battery Drains when Plugged In and Screen is Off

SamaelQliphoth
SamaelQliphoth Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Acer Aspire 5 A517-52-530V, running Windows 10 Pro v2004

For awhile I have been noticing that when my laptop's screen turns off, the battery seems to drain despite being plugged in (the little light on the side goes orange, showing it isn't fully charged). When I get the screen back on, I notice that it's drained by a decent[ish] bit. Today, the screen had been off for maybe 30 minutes or so at most, and the battery was down to 96%, despite being plugged in. Once the screen is on, it charges back up just fine, though. The only thing I have attached to it are my headphones in the headphone jack slot. I have no idea why it's draining or how to fix it and am hoping that it isn't connected to another issue I had a couple of weeks ago where the screen went black, the fan went on full blast and I had to use the battery reset hole to shut it down because the button didn't do it (or didn't seem to. I dunno if I needed to press it harder or longer as it was a bit of a panic moment).

Does anyone know if this is expected behavior, or if it isn't, how to fix it?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    >>>how to fix it?>>>

All mine behave this way in sleep mode. The drain is always less than about 10% even after several hours and rapidly goes back to near 100% when the system is awake. Doesn't seem to adversely affect anything so nothing to fix.

Jack E/NJ