Acer Aspire 7739ZG: Intel Pentium P6200 -> Core i7-940XM

Prosser
Prosser Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Will the cooling system of the Acer Aspire 7739ZG laptop cope with replacing the original Intel Pentium P6200 (35W) processor with a Core i7-940XM (55W)?

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,054 Pathfinder
    This processor doesn't have the integrated graphics so you can't upgrade it. 
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Prosser
    AnhEZ28 said:
    This processor doesn't have the integrated graphics so you can't upgrade it. 
    Why would I need integrated graphics when the laptop has a discrete Nvidia GeForce GT 520M GPU?
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,054 Pathfinder
    Because the discrete GPU doesn't have any connection with the laptop display. If you want to use that processor, you have to use an external monitor.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,279 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021

The highest spec CPU that you can upgrade your OEM D6200 is to the i7-640M (2 cores, 4 threads, 2.8 GHz to 3.467 GHz, L3 4MB and TPD 35W) Ok its not the i7-940XM’s (4cores, 8 threads, 2.133 GHz to 3.333 GHz, L3 8 MB and TPD 55W) but the i7-640M is the suggested max upgrade from the D6200 and as "AnhEZ28" is correctly telling you but, suite yourself if you want to upgrade?

• Prosser
    AnhEZ28 said:
    Because the discrete GPU doesn't have any connection with the laptop display. If you want to use that processor, you have to use an external monitor.
    Please tell us more. That is, when I play or use heavy graphics applications on a laptop without an external monitor, the discrete graphics card is idle and I only use the video system built into the processor?