Triton 500: CPU stuck on 780 MHz and disconnecting of AC adapter turns off laptop PT515-51-773B

Options
mamqek
mamqek Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hello, laptop model is PT515-51-773B, so what probably happened is that I opened the laptop and in the same time turned off the AC adapter. After it, the screen went black and after couple of self restarts and some windows update it turned on, however disconnection of AC adapter still turns it off. Also after it I found out that CPU for some reason is stuck on 780 MHz and just loads up to 99% but doesn't rise the frequency. CPUZ shows that speed is on 2600 in safe mode but I didn't want to risk and turn off AC while it in safe mode. Probably GPU doesn't want to go higher than 735 MHz as well but maybe its just because of slow CPU. I already tried restarting the battery through pin hole and manually, as well tried troubleshooting for battery and some changes in windows battery settings. I just got it back from repair by warranty, they changed motherboard. Temps of CPU are okay, as they doesn't go higher than 45.   Predator sense also shows that sometimes fans are on 0 RpM, I have never seen this before while it was working properly. I thought about reinstalling BIOS or trying something with Throttlestop, but decided to ask about it first.
Do you have any advises, I dont think that its actually battery problem, seems like OS as I read somewhere (I couldn't find this site again) that It could be connected with sleep mode or widows as it downloaded a lot while it was booting first time. 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Sounds like an issue with power delivery. Was it like that from getting it back from the service centre? 

If you can open it up and take a high Res picture of the board I can have a look over to see if there looks to be anything blown
  • mamqek

Tinkerer

Options
    No, after it got back from the service it was fine, it happened after what I described in the 1st post. And ok, I will take a picture as I will be able to. Do I need to turn around the mother board for it?
  • Leostat
    Options
    Gotcha sorry i mis understood :)

Just the visible side for now but it may need flipping. the reason i ask is I had this exact issue with my triton 500 and it was due to a blown transistor :(
  • mamqek

Tinkerer

Options
    Here it is
  • mamqek

Tinkerer

Options
    ok, i turned it around as well, and i guess i found something. I dont know a lot about circuit boards, but it looks bad. 
  • mamqek

Tinkerer

Options
    @Leostat Do you know what is the purpose and name of the chip, I couldn't  fin the schemes for mother board.
  • Leostat
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi there, i had a feeling it would be something popped on the board sorry :( mine did almost exactly the same even when it was running off a surge protector. 

Im afraid i dont, I think its this ( http://www.sinopowersemi.com/temp/SM4504NHKP_datasheet.pdf ) but Only the ACE's have access to that stuff.  Appologies for the ping this evening @billsey but would you be able to assist with this one?

thanks for the high res images i know how much of a pain it is to flip the board! if it is that chip that would explain what we are seeing as that MOSFET is for power delivery really sorry about that news :'(

This one would deffo be one to open a support case asap for them to change the board
  • mamqek

Tinkerer

Options
    Do you maybe know is it possible to just change the broken chip, but not the whole mother board? I would rather give it to a private repair center, if that so. I just got it back from Acer, it took 3 weeks or so, and I dont have this time now as I have a flight in a week. 

Also my warranty expired but I still have 3 months from service itself, can I just buy a warranty from here (https://store.acer.com/nl-nl/3-years-carry-in-1st-year-international-travellers-warranty-predator-notebook)? This laptop is crazy, so warranty for it is necessary. 

And does this broken chip also connected to a CPU problem? If the problem in battery why isn't it working properly while plugged in and everything is good in safe mode. Maybe there is a way to fix it before the repair. Can I try to make it work with Throttlestop (disable Speed Shift or Turbo Boost f.ex) 
  • Leostat
    Options
    That's above me, it depends how damaged the board is so it may be possible but unsure! 

I think it is the issue with the CPU, but is it running at full speed in safe mode? (If you try to stress it and the GPU) 

I assume it's to do with the power delivery of the board itself, so it can't dip into the battery as needed and is enabling some form of 'limp home' mode like you see in some cars when they detect something is broken 

That is a tad of speculation though, low level hardware isnt my strong point in the slightest 😅

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi mamqek,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.

5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • mamqek

Tinkerer

Options
    I tried it, It showed that all drivers are up to date. Nothing will fix battery anyway cause of burned chip, so I am looking for something that could fix CPU speed now. 
  • mamqek

Tinkerer

Options
    Do you maybe know is it possible to just change the broken chip, but not the whole mother board? I would rather give it to a private repair center, if that so. I just got it back from Acer, it took 3 weeks or so, and I dont have this time now as I have a flight in a week. 

Also my warranty expired but I still have 3 months from service itself, can I just buy a warranty from here (https://store.acer.com/nl-nl/3-years-carry-in-1st-year-international-travellers-warranty-predator-notebook)? This laptop is crazy, so warranty for it is necessary. 

And does this broken chip also connected to a CPU problem? If the problem in battery why isn't it working properly while plugged in and everything is good in safe mode. Maybe there is a way to fix it before the repair. Can I try to make it work with Throttlestop? (disable Speed Shift or Turbo Boost e.g.) 
  • mamqek

Tinkerer

Options
    By the way, I dont know why this message posted itself again.
  • mamqek

Tinkerer

Options
    Hey, if anybody is still here, I decided to sent it to the service anyway. However I definitely don't want this story to repeat, so I thought about what went wrong. When the laptop got back from repair I still couldn't freely play on it, I guess the reason was in the drivers or smth like that. So I wanted to know does anyone has ideas what should I write they must check before sending it back. 
    I already included the PredatorSense install, but dont know what to ask for games, as I dont think they will download any of them, to check the performance.
    Thank you for your help.