Acer Aspire A715-75G Laptop doesn't boot when external hard drive is connected.

Options
KaushikMajumdar
KaushikMajumdar Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

This happens once in a while. The laptop gets stuck at the Acer logo, no circle animation, and the keyboard light stays on. It stays like that until I force it off by holding the power button, disconnect my hard drive and start it up again. I use my laptop docked most of the time with an external monitor and an external hard drive connected, so to disconnect the drive and then attempt to boot is really troublesome.

I've checked BIOS settings and my internal SSD is set to first boot priority so no problems there. Maybe the external drive just takes too much time to initialize sometimes but I've used other USB peripherals and this does not happen.

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    Options
    KaushikMajumdar

I am suspecting dock might be the issue.   Try to connect the external hdd directly to laptop and check it. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• KaushikMajumdar

Tinkerer

Options
    KaushikMajumdar

I am suspecting dock might be the issue.   Try to connect the external hdd directly to laptop and check it. 
    Sorry for not wording my post correctly. When I say "docked" I mean using the laptop with an external monitor like a PC. I'm not actually using a "dock". All my peripherals including the external hard disk is directly connected to my laptop, i.e. no docks or hubs are being used. I've even tried connecting the external drive in different ports, the issue persists anyway.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi KaushikMajumdar,

what is the size of the external hard drive ?
  • KaushikMajumdar

Tinkerer

Options
    Easwar said:
    Hi KaushikMajumdar,

what is the size of the external hard drive ?
    It's a 2TB drive with 1.81 TB Total space, 425 GB free.