ACER ONE 10 S1003 - reset not enough space problem

PatPat2
PatPat2 Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi, I need to reset a tablet ACER One 10 S1003. I follow the procedure but I get an error message saying that there's not enough disk space. This, even if I've selected to delete everything. How's that possible? Also, this is my sister's tablet and she lost the password so that's why I need to reset and unable to get in Win10 to delete any files. Can anyone help with this non-sense... why not enough space when you ask to do a full factory reset and delete existing files???

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Use Disk Cleanup in Windows and tell it to clean up system files as well, You will need a bit less than 10GB free to do the reset IIRC. It will still need to have the password to log in, she will likely have to go to her Microsoft account and use their tools for a password reset to get a new password for the login.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Lynnbelton1974
    Lynnbelton1974 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi i have this issue with no free space to do anything to reset my Acer Aspire 1 :( Any advice as i am stuck in a rut!
  • billsey
    Have you tried the suggestion?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kojam
    Kojam Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

IS THERE ANY SOLUTION TO THIS?
    I've been trying every solution for a month now! Nothing works! I want to sell it. I posted ads and have people contacting me but I cannot reset this STUPID thing!  
    Is this for real?!?! What kind of stupidness is this?! Tell you what .THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE LAST ACER I will ever buy!!! Will be warning everybody to STAY AWAY FROM ACER.
    I need a fix. 

Thank you
  • billsey
    Have you tried any of the suggestions? You have to free up enough space to do the reset or you have to wipe the drive and install from scratch.
  • Kojam

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Have you tried any of the suggestions? You have to free up enough space to do the reset or you have to wipe the drive and install from scratch.
    Tried EVERYTHING.
    No more space can be freed up.
    Fails on every attempt to do a complete wipe, which is what I've been trying to from the start so I can sell this. 
  • Kojam said:
    billsey said:
    Tried EVERYTHING.
    Fails on every attempt to do a complete wipe, which is what I've been trying to from the start so I can sell this. 

That is impossible to believe "Kojamthat you can’t do a Win-10 “Reset” at Settings>Update & Security>Recovery>Reset this PC? Also and if you want to sell the One 10 S1003 then do a clean install of your OS. Yes the Acer One 10 S1003 is not the fastest thing and top spec thing arouund as it came with either the x5-Z8350 or the x5-Z8300 CPU and will only run smoothly with the Win-10 32bit OS onto its 128 GB drive that is a Flash eMMC hard drive. But it has provisions for additional space with MicroSD (TransFlash), MicroSDHC, MicroSDHC, MicroSD (TransFlash), MicroSD (TransFlash), MicroSDXC that you are able to add to the OEM storage as required. So the two solutions 1. Reset PC or 2. Reinstall your OS can be done so try ether if the first doesn’t work?

Btw and yes I know as I've had a similar Acer Aspire One Happy 2 years ago with the Atom N570 CPU and 1GB OEM RAM, 250GB snail slow spinner HDD and that useless Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 and came with the Genuine Windows® 7 Starter 32-bit and an Android pack. The only upgrade of Win-10 OS that worked with any fluency on the Aspire One Happy 2 was the Win-10 32bit that’s even when I updated the RAM to 2GB and added a 250GB 850 EVO SSD so don’t be surprised as the One 10 S1003 has even less drive space.

• billsey
    Most of the S1003 models come with only a 32GB eMMC drive. You typically need 10GB free to do the reset or a big update. You can fudge a bit on an update by putting a SD card in to take up the download space. The best solution in this case is to just go ahead and reinstall the full OS, the 32bit version of Windows 10 Home is likely the best choice. As you do the install from a Windows install flash drive, when it gets to the point where it's asking which partition to install to, manually delete each existing partition, then install to the full drive's unallocated space. The installer will create all needed partitions.
  • Kojam

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Kojam said:
    billsey said:
    Tried EVERYTHING.

That is impossible to believe "Kojamthat you can’t do a Win-10 “Reset” at Settings>Update & Security>Recovery>Reset this PC? Also and if you want to sell the One 10 S1003 then do a clean install of your OS. Yes the Acer One 10 S1003 is not the fastest thing and top spec thing arouund as it came with either the x5-Z8350 or the x5-Z8300 CPU and will only run smoothly with the Win-10 32bit OS onto its 128 GB drive that is a Flash eMMC hard drive. But it has provisions for additional space with MicroSD (TransFlash), MicroSDHC, MicroSDHC, MicroSD (TransFlash), MicroSD (TransFlash), MicroSDXC that you are able to add to the OEM storage as required. So the two solutions 1. Reset PC or 2. Reinstall your OS can be done so try ether if the first doesn’t work?

Btw and yes I know as I've had a similar Acer Aspire One Happy 2 years ago with the Atom N570 CPU and 1GB OEM RAM, 250GB snail slow spinner HDD and that useless Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 and came with the Genuine Windows® 7 Starter 32-bit and an Android pack. The only upgrade of Win-10 OS that worked with any fluency on the Aspire One Happy 2 was the Win-10 32bit that’s even when I updated the RAM to 2GB and added a 250GB 850 EVO SSD so don’t be surprised as the One 10 S1003 has even less drive space.

Well believe it. Tried a thousand times. Trimmed as much fat as humanly possible. FAILS EVERY TIME!!! States it ran into a problem. 
    I kind of like this machine. Even used it at my job to provision hundreds p of UPS units at the local airport last year. Then used it to try to set up remote management of all those units. I sometimes feel that I don't really want to get rid of it, but I have a ton of windows, Linux, and Hackintosh devices...I keep forgetting I have this because I never really use it.
    I don't have a copy of windows to do a fresh install...
  • Kojam

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Most of the S1003 models come with only a 32GB eMMC drive. You typically need 10GB free to do the reset or a big update. You can fudge a bit on an update by putting a SD card in to take up the download space. The best solution in this case is to just go ahead and reinstall the full OS, the 32bit version of Windows 10 Home is likely the best choice. As you do the install from a Windows install flash drive, when it gets to the point where it's asking which partition to install to, manually delete each existing partition, then install to the full drive's unallocated space. The installer will create all needed partitions.
    Don't have such a flask drive. Don't recall. Does MS provide a tool that can be downloaded to create such a tool?
  • Kojam

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Kojam said:
    billsey said:
    Tried EVERYTHING.

People have been complaining about the same that I reported:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/542176/acer-one-10-s1003-doesnt-boot-from-windows-bootable-usb

• Kojam said:
    StevenGen said:
    Kojam said:
    billsey said:
    Tried EVERYTHING.

Well believe it. Tried a thousand times. Trimmed as much fat as humanly possible. FAILS EVERY TIME!!! States it ran into a problem. 
    I kind of like this machine. Even used it at my job to provision hundreds p of UPS units at the local airport last year. Then used it to try to set up remote management of all those units. I sometimes feel that I don't really want to get rid of it, but I have a ton of windows, Linux, and Hackintosh devices...I keep forgetting I have this because I never really use it.

Have you done a Disk Cleanup? By going into This PC > right click on (C:)>Properties>Disk Cleanup>Clean Up System Files and deleted all the update and rubbish files from there? As and if you allowed all the Windows Update backups to accumulate there, there is allot of GB's of unnecessary data there that you can delete and free up disk space, try that. 

• Kojam

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Kojam said:
    StevenGen said:
    Kojam said:
    billsey said:
    Tried EVERYTHING.

Have you done a Disk Cleanup? By going into This PC > right click on (C:)>Properties>Disk Cleanup>Clean Up System Files and deleted all the update and rubbish files from there? As and if you allowed all the Windows Update backups to accumulate there, there is allot of GB's of unnecessary data there that you can delete and free up disk space, try that. 

All done long ago. It even shows that I have 10GB free, which stumped me as to why the attempts to refresh keep failing.
    Made a windows 10 flash using the MS tool but this can't boot from USB. 
  • Kojam

Tinkerer

Ok. Made no sense that it wouldn't boot from USB after I disabled secure boot. Got it now.
    Will do after my ski trip. Then will be good to go. BUT AFTER ALL THIS I CAN'T SELL IT NOW. 😂
    We've been too much together!
  • billsey
    Try this link to create the install flash drive:
    A refresh tries to keep around a bunch of stuff from the old install, in addition to the install image itself. Between the two you can easily shoot right past the 10GB free space. A reset is a bit better since it won't try to keep all the old data, but still can be problematic. A clean install almost always works since there is no old data to worry about and the install image itself is on the flash drive, so doesn't take up any room on your system drive. You do have to remove the old partitions or else it will try to create the whole build into the space that used to just be for C:.
  • Kojam

Tinkerer

Thanks. That's the tool I'm already using. Just got back in the house and started to do the fresh install before I saw your message...
    I lost it format the. Acer partition and installing there now.. 
  • Kojam

Tinkerer

Thought the end was in sight but turns out to be just an oasis.
    Got windows installed, but touch doesn't work, it's stuck in portrait mode, etc. No biggie. Figure will just install everything from Acer site designed for this
  • Kojam

Tinkerer

Kojam said:
    Thought the end was in sight but turns out to be just an oasis.
    Got windows installed, but touch doesn't work, it's stuck in portrait mode, etc. No biggie. Figure will just install everything from Acer site designed for this
    Wasn't done this post...browser started acting up so had to post and continue....
    As I was saying...
    I figured I'd download all of the software designed for this from this site and everything should be tickity-boo after. Wanting to make sure I had the EXACT drivers and software, I ran the Acer Hardware Detection tool. I ran it and it claims that windows 8 is installed. I've got windows 10 for sure. It also did not recognize ANYTHING about the device. 🤣
    So, between this and my Wyze cams, I'm spending every spare minute I can steal away from my family on just trying to get these 2 things fixed for the past 2 weeks. Going skiing now...will have to wait till midnight tonight to be able to get back to this... 😂
  • Kojam

Tinkerer

Ran the install.bat (as administrator) in the script folder of the Platform file downloaded. Think asks working now. Haven't ran any of the bios files. Why's there 10? 😂
    Will leave that for the new owner of I sell