CD Drive - Acer XC895

peteg1
peteg1 Member Posts: 1 New User
Morning to you all.
i have recently purchased an Acer  XC895, this has no CD Drive
I want to install a CD Drive so whats the best Drive for this PC.
There was a couple of brackets in the box but ZERO documentation
instructions registration cards or anything else,lol

//Edited the content to add model name.

Comments

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @peteg1

I would recommend an external USB DVD drive( ~ USD $30). If it is possible that you may watch Blu-ray movies, then get an externa USB 3.0 Blu-ray drive instead (~ USD $100).

Nowadays, people use DVD drives less frequently, mostly because of the 4.7 GB limit and its speed is slow. Even Windows can be installed from  USB flash drive  now.

Since I have multiple PCs, the external DVD drive can be shared between them only as needed. This spares a SATA connector on the motherboard for additional HDD or SSD. Additional SSD is more useful than a CD/DVD dive in general. I remember one time I was helping a friend installing a program from his laptop DVD drive and that drive failed. My external USB DVD came to rescue and helped him finished the job.

It is your choice. If you insist on adding an internal CD/DVD drive, you may want to get the slim type for laptops. Pay attention to the power connector from your power supply and on the DVD drive side, because laptop DVD drives may use non standard SATA power connector ( I believe it may be the 7-pin type, smaller than the standard SATA power connector).
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Your Aspire XC-895 uses a slimline DVD drive and you can choose any of them that support the features you want. I'd likely go with one that reads and writes dual layer discs, or a Blue Ray these days. You will also need a SATA cable  and there should already be a power cable for the drive. Use the brackets they put in with the system and the bezel that's in there to best fit the case.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.