Change RST to AHCI Acer Aspire A515-56

AJMusic15
AJMusic15 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Acer Aspire A515-56 laptop that I bought recently and so far everything is perfect except for 2 things that I have noticed.

1- The BIOS is too basic, I can't even configure the amount of dedicated VRAM for the iGPU (Intel UHD) even though I have version 1.11 (most recent) of the BIOS.

2- Thanks to the RST (The problem for which I am opening this thread) I get too bad write performance on my Kingston NVme SSD. Reading all fine with an average of 2GB/s in sequential read and 306MB/s in random 4KB files but as for reading.... If it exceeds 30MB/s in Random Writes or 700MB/s in Sequential Writes it's a real miracle. It even makes that during the writing and reading of heavy files the drive gets hotter than 75ºC.

According to what I was investigating for a long time, the problem of this performance came from the Intel RST that ironically is enabled. As I had seen looking for information about that controller, it only works fine if my SSD is Intel but no, it is Kingston.

How can I solve it? I need to go back to AHCI, the problem is so uncomfortable that thanks to the RST I can't even use the Kingston update utility because when it detects the RST it simply gives me an incompatibility error with the driver.

The SNID of my Laptop is 10404806034 (NP: NXA1EEB00H104040BBBC3400)

---------------------
I would have no problem if I had to reinstall the OS but to do that would technically be doing the same old thing.... In Windows during installation you can't tell which storage driver is being used so I don't think that's the problem.

Best Answer

• AJMusic15
    Answer ✓
    Problem solved. I put Windows in Safe Mode, then I restarted the PC and then I entered the BIOS and in the advanced options tab, I pressed "Ctrl + S" and two options came up.

What I then did was to disable the "VMD Management".

Answers

• AJMusic15
    I forgot I have seen a similar thread in this forum but decided to open this one since that existing thread solved absolutely nothing. That going into Safe Mode and forcibly disabling the driver just caused me a blue screen that I could only repair using System Restore.
  • AJMusic15
    Answer ✓
    Problem solved. I put Windows in Safe Mode, then I restarted the PC and then I entered the BIOS and in the advanced options tab, I pressed "Ctrl + S" and two options came up.

What I then did was to disable the "VMD Management".