Laptop screen and keyboard randomly stop working (PH315-51)

Options
RuisuStyle
RuisuStyle Member Posts: 4 New User
edited June 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hi everyone, 

I've been a Acer user for about two years now and I've begun to experience an issue that's got me a little concerned.  On Monday I was on Youtube and Twitch and noticed my screen cut off. I assume I somehow put the computer to sleep, but noticed that my external monitor was still up and that everything was still running. I tried extending my display again, but nothing happened. Then when I tried restarting the computer I noticed that the laptop's keyboard was also not functioning.

My Mouse and External monitor were working just fine. I then noticed that my gamepad was still functioning and then realized that pretty much anything that wasn't the keyboard and laptop display were functional.  Rebooted the computer and was stuck on a blank screen for a few minutes and then everything was back to normal. Today this issue has occurred twice The first time it was very brief (no more than 30 seconds), but the second time it took about 15 minutes for it to fix itself. 

Has anyone experienced something like this? I assumed that this was due to it overheating, but each time this happened today I didn't see my temps go above 81C.  It's mostly stayed on the 58-62C range. 

I'd appreciate any suggestions people might have. 

Laptop:
Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51)
i7 8750H
16GB of DDR4
NVIDIA GF 1060 6GB/ Intel UHD 630

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    Options
    @RuisuStyle

Most of the issues are getting fixed by doing a power drain and bios defaults ..  Without opening the laptop we will try to help you..   Kindly follow the steps given below..

Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug  the charger cable, devices or any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, you can find a  pin hole. It is a tiny hole. You can a find a battery symbol indicator next to the hole. It is like a + and - sign symbol as though somebody is trying to shift the battery out. Insert the pin on to the hole for 30 seconds. Remove the pin. Flip the laptop. Connect the charger cable, turn on the computer.  Only on laptops where the battery is inbuilt you can find the battery reset hole on the back of laptop.

If you dont find a pin hole on the back of laptop then you might be using removable battery. There is no need to unscrew anything to remove the battery.  Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug  the charger cable, devices and any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, please look at the top or bottom depending on the way you look at it. You can find a long door. It is a battery removable door.  Just below that you can find a latch.  If you move the latch you can remove the battery door. Once the battery is removed,  flip the laptop. Open the top cover, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Connect the battery back on the back of computer. Connect the charger cable back and then turn on the computer. 

While turning on the computer, tap f2. It  will go to bios. Press f9  once. It will show load bios defaults with a yes or no popup. Press enter. Popup screen will disappear.  Press f10 once. It will show save changes popup with yes or no. Press enter. Computer will restart and it will load into windows.

Please use the computer for couple of days and check how it is working.. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful! 
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• RuisuStyle
    Options
    Great, I'll try this out and see what happens. I appreciate your help.
  • RuisuStyle
    Options
    @Acer-William

Alright, I've trying using the laptop like I normally do for the past few days and sadly I'm still experiencing this issue. Whenever the Screen goes out, I confirmed that the keyboard and trackpad also go out.  Oddly enough the keyboards indicator LED for Caps and Num lock are still functioning if I use my external keyboard.  I guess they are connected to something else. Do you happen to have any additional suggestion on what could be causing something like this?  

I think I'm going to give it a few more days and if it keeps getting worse (frequency and length) I'll repaste the CPU and GPU. Since I though this could have been due to overheating, but blowing it out didn't do much outside of the cooler temps.
  • RuisuStyle
    Options
    @Acer-William

Alright, I've trying using the laptop like I normally do for the past few days and sadly I'm still experiencing this issue. Whenever the Screen goes out, I confirmed that the keyboard and trackpad also go out.  Oddly enough the keyboards indicator LED for Caps and Num lock are still functioning if I use my external keyboard.  I guess they are connected to something else. Do you happen to have any additional suggestion on what could be causing something like this?  

I think I'm going to give it a few more days and if it keeps getting worse (frequency and length) I'll repaste the CPU and GPU. Since I though this could have been due to overheating, but blowing it out didn't do much outside of the cooler temps.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi RuisuStyle,

# Try to update the keyboard driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option keyboard driver.
    4. Under the title keyboard driver.
    ​​
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title keyboard  driver.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​