Aspire A717-71G locked out

alfonsofrisk
alfonsofrisk Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
Strange issue today
During boot up of laptop power cable came out and machine turned off before login completed.
Started all up again and now I can not get past the log in screen as it says my passowrd is incorrect.
Even more strangely the password hint displayed has nothing at all to do with the password I have been using for some years on the machine.
Have tried restart/shift key option but still if I want to go further my password is still required then denied.
Im now stuck looking at log in page.
Looked in bios and there is only 1 option to boot and it also says HDD password frozen.
Could the machine have been hacked ? virus?
Anyway around this ? or will I have to rip hard drive off in order get at my files
Acer Aspire A717-71G
Windows 10 64

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,157 Pathfinder
    alfonsofrisk

Have you used pin instead of password.     If you know the pin no,  on the login screen click on sign on option - It will show you key and dots for you to change between pin and password.    You can chose pin and then you can login with pin. 

If you dont know the pin..

On the lower right corner of the login screen, click on power button.    It will show you sleep shutdown and restart. 

Hold the shift key on keyboard and click on restart

It will show you chose an option, troubleshoot.    Remove the finger from the shift key..

Click on troubleshoot - reset this pc - keep my files - chose an account  - type the password  (   It will remove all the applications but it will not remove your personal files ) 

Once it is completed you can login with the password...

Otherwise click on troubleshoot - reset this pc - remove everything - local reinstall - just remove my files.    It will wipe out everything and it will make your computer like a new computer.    It will reinstall windows.   Once it is completed you can set a new password. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful! 
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• alfonsofrisk
    alfonsofrisk Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Thank you swift reply
    I was logging in with a 4 number pin
    The option for pin or password or finger print etc is no longer present as an option on the start up screen
    If I choose the keep my files option it again asks for password which is then rejected
    Im hoping not to go down the reset option as I have a few files and folders containing docs which are not backed up this month.