Aspire 8730G - can't enter BIOS

ssways
ssways Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi everyone ;)

I have a laptop that still runs on prehistoric Vista. I would like to change it for some OS that would work on my spec + still be safe to use (probably Linux). 

But I ran into a problem - my laptop doesn't want to enter BIOS. It only opens boot manager (where it shows Vista option). 

I made factory reset + already tried with the latest BIOS update for my model - still doesn't work. 

I believe it would still be suitable for simple tasks like browsing and writing, but I'm not prepared to spend money on it, so I would be grateful if anyone knows for a potential solution I can find on my own. ;)

I've searched extensively for the solution before posting here but sadly I didn't find anymore clues how to proceed. 

Thank you,

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi ssways,

May I know how you try to enter into BIOS page ?
  • ssways
    ssways Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, @Easwar ;)

I tried all the tricks with F2 (holding, tapping, holding it before hitting power, some combination of keys that I forgot to postopone/begin the cycle again if you're too late with F2).

As some suggest trying del or ins key I tried that too. 

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited June 2021
    Hi,

If you remove or disconnect your HDD, you should be able to regain access to BIOS.

https://www.acerrepairblog.us/aspire-8730-8730z-8530/removing-the-hard-disk-drive-module-1.html

lubuntu usually works ok for old laptops.  You have a legacy BIOS...not a UEFI

https://lubuntu.net/lubuntu-1710-artful-aardvark-released/

https://lubuntu.net/lubuntu-1704-zesty-zapus-released/

I don't have anymore suggestions.  Good luck!

Edit:  I forgot to mention that most old laptops (Dell, HP, Acer, IBM, toshiba, lenovo, etc) from that time period running Vista have rootkits (MBR infections).  I just wanted to make sure you know that if you did have an MBR infection, a factory reset isn't going to get rid of it because you still have the same MBR.  Anyway, you probably knew that, but I'm just making sure that you know that it's highly likely (based on my observations) that most old Vista laptops have a virus---MBR infection--rootkit.  The good news is that new UEFI laptops and Windows 10 (and Alphabet/google) have made great strides on that front.  I haven't had a virus since 2013.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,447 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021
    ssways said:
    Hi everyone ;)

I have a laptop that still runs on prehistoric Vista. I would like to change it for some OS that would work on my spec + still be safe to use (probably Linux). 

But I ran into a problem - my laptop doesn't want to enter BIOS. It only opens boot manager (where it shows Vista option). 

I made factory reset + already tried with the latest BIOS update for my model - still doesn't work. 

I believe it would still be suitable for simple tasks like browsing and writing, but I'm not prepared to spend money on it, so I would be grateful if anyone knows for a potential solution I can find on my own. ;)

I've searched extensively for the solution before posting here but sadly I didn't find anymore clues how to proceed. 

Thank you,

Firstly "ssways" your Aspire 8730G is a pretty ancient laptop of the pre 2009 circa vintage, it’s a laptop that its architecture can’t be upgraded to anything without spending any or some money on it, if you can get parts for it? With the BIOS and if you have updated it to the last BIOS version v1.13 dated 2009/11/17 then that is all that the Aspire 8730G can be updated to and if you cant get into the BIOS then you have to reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery and also I would recommend you to replace that old battery to a new one. Also download the 8730G’s service manual <<< from this link...and look at all its specs and how to disassemble its components and replace tem as Acer suggests etc.  

Also what CPU do you have? As the Aspire 8730G came OEM with these CPU's:  

• Aspire 8730/8730Z Series: Intel® Core™2 Duo Mobile Processor P8400 (2.26GHz)/T5900 (2.2GHz)/T5800 (2.0 GHz)/T3400 (2.16 GHz)
    • Aspire 8530 Series: AMD Athlon™ X2 dual-core mobile processor 1.9GHz
    • AMD Turion™ X2 Ultra dual-core mobile processor 2.1 GHz/2.3GHz

As and if your 8730G came with the Intel P8400 see CPU Upgrade upgrade it to the Core 2 Duo P9700 type CPU (but its going to cost you) as you can’t get this laptop to perform better without a CPU and a RAM upgrade (if you can get them?) and spending some dollars on it.

The max RAM capacity for the 8730G is 4GB into its 2x sockets (which is at 2GB max per socket) at type DDR 2-667MHz 1.8V at 200-pin type soDIMM RAM which is a pretty low type spec for today and its the min RAM suitability to run eother Win-8 or 10 but you can run Win-7 comfortably,its up to you?

This laptop supports the type HDD's of the spinner type SATA-2 at 3.0 GB/s (Max) so you can upgrade forbetter performance of its OEM spinner HDD to a new type SSD that all run the type SSD’s of 6GB/sec athat ifyou fit these new SSD's will only run at 50% of their efficiency.

All in all in all you can’t upgrade this laptop if you don’t want to spend lots of $$$’s on it as it’s an old brick that needs to be scrapped in my opinion as you would be better off to get yourself a more modern laptop, this is my suggestion to you. Good luck and hope this helps you out as I wouldn’t upgrade it and/or spendany dollars on it but, its up to you.  

• MouthyBuns44
    MouthyBuns44 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2021
    I am picking this thread considering that it appears to be the most recent regarding the topic of entering BIOS. After spending literally 6h trying to access my BIOS using the most common sequence of keys (literally, anything from F1 to F12 with Shift, Alt or Ctrl). It is mind boggling.

From an old post somewhere else by someone using Windows 8 on an ACER Aspire, I found the combination that worked on my own ACER Aspire V3 571 upgraded to Windows 10.

1.  Start a shutdown while pressing/holding the Shift key, and hold it until the entire shutdown is completed AND the power light is off.
    2.  Let go the Shift Key.
    3.  With your eyes locked on your screen, re-start your laptop, as soon as the ACER logo appears, press F2 once. The BIOS menu  will appear within 3-5 sec. 

U-N-Believable the amount of time we waste because some people cannot standardize anything...

Now, to the converting my laptop from Win10 to ChromeOS, in other words, removing my MS straightjacket.