Veriton N4640G , Where Can I purchase optional expansion modules?

GJ80
GJ80 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I can't find these expansion modules anywhere online to purchase.

I've logged a call with Acer.

I am looking for the graphic card module specifically.

I have 2 but need to run 4 monitors.

The ad video shows this model can run 5 monitors.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    It's a bit confusing since you posted your question in the laptop area, and laptops don't support adding extra cards. Desktops do, but yours is a bit special since it's so thin. It has room for one PCIe x16 graphics card, though I believe it's designed for a low profile card, which limits the number of connectors that can be on it. What makes it even more complicated is that the BIOS disables the onboard video if it detects a GPU in that slot, so you could easily end up with fewer monitors available with a card in. But, all is not lost! You can use one of your USB 3.0 slots for a USB dock, and some of the docks can drive several monitors each. They wouldn't be suitable for gaming, but are just fine for productivity. My suggestions is to get a dock to handle the rest of the displays you want and stay away from a GPU unless you need the extra graphics power for some specialized app, like a 3D CAD program.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi GJ80,

No, You can't add any optional expansion modules on this unit.
  • GJ80

Tinkerer

This advert from Acer suggests otherwise - https://youtu.be/QjSVFxq1U4Y

I bought it on the strength of the marketing as I liked the modular design.

I've had a look inside and there's definitely a PCIe connector in there, just need the module to plug in. 
    Just like the lady in the video connecting up her 5 LCD monitors.

Why can't you add any expansion modules if the connector is already there?
  • billsey
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    It's a bit confusing since you posted your question in the laptop area, and laptops don't support adding extra cards. Desktops do, but yours is a bit special since it's so thin. It has room for one PCIe x16 graphics card, though I believe it's designed for a low profile card, which limits the number of connectors that can be on it. What makes it even more complicated is that the BIOS disables the onboard video if it detects a GPU in that slot, so you could easily end up with fewer monitors available with a card in. But, all is not lost! You can use one of your USB 3.0 slots for a USB dock, and some of the docks can drive several monitors each. They wouldn't be suitable for gaming, but are just fine for productivity. My suggestions is to get a dock to handle the rest of the displays you want and stay away from a GPU unless you need the extra graphics power for some specialized app, like a 3D CAD program.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GJ80

Tinkerer

Many thanks for that billsey.  I’ve ordered the hardware for your USB 3.0 dock - multiple monitor setup and I’ll post here when I get everything working perfectly.

It would have been a fun filled few days slotting a new graphics card in, buying a bigger power supply then having BIOS persistently disable it!

As an Acer devotee of some 35+ years I’m disappointed in the vapourware marketing and dismal customer support suggestions from checking eBay to buying another PC!

• AlexSlater1234567
    AlexSlater1234567 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I'm curious, what is an Expansion Module?
  • billsey
    In this case, a PCIe expansion card that can be installed in the PC to provide some extra functionality.
  • GJ80

Tinkerer

Using a Dell D3100 to add up to 3 extra LCDs.  With the PC ports, a total of 5 is possible.  HDMI, DP and VGA usable.

I notice a slight difference in screen colour for LCDs that go through the Dell box.

I just found a reply in my Junk box from Just Acer showing an expansion box connected to a Veriton N like mine.

I've asked them for purchase website and price.  Watch this space!
  • GJ80

Tinkerer

Just Acer initially responded that the expansion boxes are not available for the EMEA region after teasing me with photos asking "Is this what you're looking for?".

I asked what regions they were available in, as I could have them forwarded from the US for instance.
    They replied that they don't know where they may be available and tried a Google search on my behalf, which was unsuccessful.

A Google search was the first thing I myself tried!
    I find it strange there isn't even one used box available anywhere in the whole world.

I can only conclude the expansion boxes were indeed vapourware prototypes created purely for the purposes of the marketing videos.
    This has somewhat coloured my opinion of Acer as a company after our 35 year+ relationship.

I'm willing to take back my comments however, if someone produces one of these elusive expansion boxes for purchase.
  • billsey
    Here is one card that is low profile and has four miniDP ports, so four added monitors. I am sure there are others, though it will be tough to find one that does more than four in that low profile form factor.
  • GJ80

Tinkerer

"What makes it even more complicated is that the BIOS disables the onboard video if it detects a GPU in that slot, so you could easily end up with fewer monitors available with a card in."

billsey, I'm a bit confused as to why you're recommending a card now after your original statement above about the BIOS issue.  Is there an updated BIOS you discovered?  I still think a naked graphics card sticking out the top of my PC would be a bit unsightly however without the expansion box.

Just Acer are ignoring my further requests for a logical explanation to the case of the missing expansion boxes.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    This video may give your some more information on how to install but I don't know of where to buy the expansion module ?  Good Luck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-93GFWFe2ao
  • billsey
    You need no updated BIOS to install a GPU card, the only thing I said about the BIOS was that when you have a GPU card installed, the onboard video is shut off. Here's a picture of the back of your system:
    #1 is where a GPU will go, and one I linked to has four DP ports, so you can connect four monitors to it. If you have a GPU installed, #10 and #11 will no longer work.
  • GJ80

Tinkerer

OK thanks billsey, I understand now.  The card would give me 4 monitors and BIOS would take away the original 2.

I'm probably good with my current setup through the Dell box despite the slight colour differences between monitors, which I can live with.
    The 4 DP port card would resolve the colour differences I suspect but without an expansion box to house the card, would look a bit naff and probably attract static.

I emailed TechData and Exertis, third party suppliers of Acer products, a couple of weeks ago but have had zero response.
    I'll conclude then that expansion boxes don't actually exist but your workaround of a USB box is suitable for my needs for now and if I need a 4th monitor in the future.

Many thanks for the help. 
  • billsey
    Expansion does require a box, and there are no 'expansion boxes' as such. Expansion is done by putting a card in, putting in memory or changing the drive. They did have an optional internal cable that could bring an HDMI port to the back of the unit (#4 above).
  • GJ80

Tinkerer

According to the Acer marketing above, the add-on modules I wanted which accommodate the additional functionality are called extension boxes.  

I’m still astonished that an entire PC series marketed as a modular solution to accommodate future business expansion requirements have no empty black plastic boxes available to snap on.

It was interesting to watch the video from Larryodie about how to install something that doesn’t exist.

I had a long conversation with a CSR at Acer Spares and even the recent models of this series in 2020 were marketed in this way.  It’s very frustrating and misleading on the part of Acer.