aspire 5 laptop fan is not working

Options
nizar21
nizar21 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
hello, i have acer aspire 5 (ryzen 3 5300u). after 1 month i use it, now the fan is not working, i cant hear any fan sound so the laptop temperature is hot..how can i fix it? is there any problem in driver or bios or something? because i think it is a new product

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi nizar21,

# Try to get the BIOS page.
    1. Turn OFF the unit.
    ​2. Press and hold the F2 key and turn on the unit. 
    3. You will be in setup utility page. 
    4. Once you got the screen release the F2 key.
    5. Tap on F9 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    6. Tap on F10 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    7. Your unit will restart by itself. 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    What  is actual CPU temperature?

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Options
    Hi nizar21,

Try to do power drain,

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug the charger. 
    3. At the bottom there will be a tiny pin hole with battery sign close to it take a pin or paper clip and insert into it hold that button for 20-30 seconds. Then turn ON the unit and check.​

• nizar21

Tinkerer

Options
    Easwar said:
    Hi nizar21,

Try to do power drain,

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug the charger. 
    3. At the bottom there will be a tiny pin hole with battery sign close to it take a pin or paper clip and insert into it hold that button for 20-30 seconds. Then turn ON the unit and check.​

is it safe? or any negative impact when i do it? btw thanks for your advice
  • nizar21

Tinkerer

Options
    @JackE sometimes it heat until 80c because the fan is not running
  • JackE
    Options
    What is your full model A5 number. For example, A515-54g?. Any CPU/GPU temps below about 94*C is normal for newer laptops under load. Fans usually don't  run at full speed until the temps reach about  85*C. Below that temperatures the sound levels are much lower.  If you give your model number, we can try to look up the fan speed temperature table.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Options
    Hi nizar21,

nizar21 said:
    Easwar said:
    Hi nizar21,

Try to do power drain,

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug the charger. 

is it safe? or any negative impact when i do it? btw thanks for your advice
    No, there is no negative impact.
  • nizar21

Tinkerer

Options
    @JackE aspire 5 a515-45 with ryzen 3 5300u..now the fan is working, but after about 2 hour of use, i feel the temperature is hot and i tried to hear if the fan is working or not..and i can't hear any fan sound, it is totally stopped (not spinning). fan is working again after shutdown the laptop. but it repeated again to not working after several hour. i dont know is there any software or hardware malfunction. sorry for my bad english
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>i feel the temperature is hot>>>

You can't judge CPU by how you feel. Download HWMonitor or Speedfan freeware to actually see what the temperature is. You can probably also do this through ACER software already installed on your machine such as the CareCenter or QuickAccess apps.

If you can hear the fan immediately after turning on the laptop, this is normal because it is designed to run at full speed for a short period of time after it is fully stopped (laptop turned off). Then, since the temperatue is not high enough yet, the fan automatically reduces speed to the point where you can't hear it any longer. I can't  hear a fan lower than 35 decibels but it is still spinning at almost 4000 rpm. New fans are  very quiet especially in silent mode. As you can see below, if the CPU temperature is below about 85*C, it would very hard to hear the fan but still spinning quite high. I think your laptop's fan is running as it should be.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi nizar21,

# Try to get the BIOS page.
    1. Turn OFF the unit.
    ​2. Press and hold the F2 key and turn on the unit. 
    3. You will be in setup utility page. 
    4. Once you got the screen release the F2 key.
    5. Tap on F9 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    6. Tap on F10 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    7. Your unit will restart by itself. 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • nizar21

Tinkerer

Options
    @JackE thankyou for your advice, i  downloaded hwmonitor since i bought the laptop. Okay, maybe the fan is spinning but i can't hear the sound, i have another question..how can i detect the fan speed? i tried speedfan but there is no fan or fan speed detected, it just showing the temperature 
  • mcb170
    mcb170 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    nizar21 said:
    @JackE thankyou for your advice, i  downloaded hwmonitor since i bought the laptop. Okay, maybe the fan is spinning but i can't hear the sound, i have another question..how can i detect the fan speed? i tried speedfan but there is no fan or fan speed detected, it just showing the temperature 

I have the same problem with speedfan! I have an Acer Aspire 5 515-55-511A (1 year old). Have about the same problem with my fan. Funnily during BIOS it works fine but within Windows 10 (now 11 still with the same problem) it would shut off at some point.

Just some minutes ago I had a BIOS update from 1.17 to 1.2 and it seems to be better. Interestingly during BIOS update it was as loud as it had not been for a long time (btw. meanwhile I exchanged my fan).

Right now it does not run high but the temperature (HW monitor) seems to be fine (below 40°C). I just fear that the fan boost will not turn on again. In case not the BIOS update did the trick

• JackE
    Options
    Stop worrying. It'll be fine. :)

Jack E/NJ